586,100 active members*
2,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Breakout board - power light indicator?

Hi, all,

My 4030 kit just arrived on Friday, and I finally got a chance to start hooking things up this evening. Most of it went great, but I had a question - on the breakout board, next to the inputs from the 5V DC adaptor, there is an LED labelled "power". When I turn everything on, though, this light stays out.

Now, I haven't tried hooking this up to my PC yet, as I'm slightly paranoid about that LED not coming on. Is this normal?

(And just to verify - with the DC adaptor, the wire with the white dashes is the ground, correct?)

Thanks for any insight!

Finally got a chance to get back to this with my voltmeter, and it looks like I was wrong - white dashed stripe was the positive wire, contrary to some other posts I'd seen! The voltmeter says it's putting off around 6.5 V, so once I attached the leads correctly, all was well and my little power light lit up like a star.

Which reminds me - I thought it was supposed to be a 5V power supply, not a 6.5. Will this cause trouble, or is it just an updated model?

Hi my power supply is rated at 6V, i dont remember the actual output, I don't have the motors on the machine yet, but they spin just fine sitting on my desk so i think you are ok. I recieved my kit only a few weeks ago so its most likely the same power supply.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for the confirmation - I hooked everything up, and my motors are spinning nicely as well.

Happy building!