586,655 active members*
3,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Which do you find more difficult to program? Lathe or Mill?

View Poll Results: Lathe or Mill?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lathe

13 35.14%
  • Mill

24 64.86%

Which do you find more difficult to program? Lathe or Mill?

Which do you find more difficult to program? I would think mill, because you have to take in account for all the tool paths as well as dimensions, while a lathe makes it's pass based on the O.D. and I.D. (I'm not a machinist by the way, -- just trying to make a discussion out of what *I think* I have learned by reading). Also, this question was sparked by my friend who is at a local tech school for machine tool operation and says that he has a more difficult time working with programs on the lathe than mill.

I think you need a third choice; 'no difference'.

Perhaps with CAM it is different, but I hand code regularly on both and find them more or less the same. It is sometimes difficult to switch quickly from one to the other and remember that lathe incremental uses U and W while the mill is G91. Also I sometimes get feeds mixed up, but fortunately if I tell the lathe to feed at 50.0 and it is using IPR it alarms rather than crashing and on the mill a feed of 0.005 is just very slow.

The difference I find between the two machines is running them in MDI or using handle jog; to me it is much easier on the mill. Also when I just want to drill and tap a single hole in something it is often much easier on the mill to set up the tools.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I'll take the lathe over the mill any day, 1 less axis to deal with, and generally workholding is alot simpler on a lathe.
    I guess it also depends on the control, our lathe has a Fagor 8055 control, and I can do 99% of the jobs at the spindle with the conversational style interface.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fordbroncoxlt View Post
    Which do you find more difficult to program?
    The question is which is more difficult.

OK, long day
    Mill is more difficult to program tha lathe. IMO

Geof has it spot on.

I think the difference is relative experience. If you work with both tools frequently, they're pretty much equal insofar as programming is concerned. Certain operations can be more difficult on one than the other, but programming is about the same.
    The Machinist's Chatroom
    http://machinechat.freehostia.com/

mill is more difficult because

you have at least one more axis and you are working in 3D enviroment.

I have a lathe and 3.5 axis machinng center both with fanuc 0 control and i program the machining center much more (for making models for new products) and still the lathe is more intuitive.

if between the two mill.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

I'm with Geof, I hand code on both daily and its all pretty simple to me.

Apples and oranges, neither is harder just different.
    And not all lathes are 2 axis! When you start wrapping on a live tool lathe with 4 axis of movement things can get complicated.
    I hate deburring.....
    Lets go (insert favorite hobby here)

mill is more difficult to program than lathe

I've only Coded a TL-1 and a TM-1, my issue isn't the programming, once you start to get used to either or it's all relative to how much time you spend on the machine. But in terms of operation the TL-1 Never seems to let me manually turn the handles to position my tool when I want and then when I go to jog it never lets me jog when I want to either. As a result I've grown to hate CNC lathes all together based on my dislike of the TL-1 constantly fighting with me over when I can and can't manually control is. Haas' response to this "It's a cross-over machine." My Response "It sucks, I should be able to manually position my tool at all times except when a program is actually being run, when I hit Reset I want manual control." Totally off topic with this post but man I've wanted to say that for weeks.
    -JWB
    --We Ain't Building Pianos (TCNJ Baja 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by JWB_Machining View Post
    ....Totally off topic with this post but man I've wanted to say that for weeks.
    Take the manual handwheels off.

Stop trying to use it as a cross-over machine.

Position your tool using the jog handle as you would on a full CNC machine.

You are never going to progress backwards from a cross-over machine to exclusively using a manual machine; progress forwards to full CNC.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

They're both as easy as each other really, you just push the toggle button in your brain that says "lathe mode/ mill mode" and hope that you remember which mode you're in!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.