586,061 active members*
4,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Interact 308 w/TNC2500

I have a Bridgeport Interact 308 w/TNC2500. I have a problem with the control powering up. It has always been a little slow but recently has got much worse. Once you power the machine the CRT and boot up dont happen right away. In the past you could let it set powered for a few min and it would go ahead and startand boot. Now it takes as much as 2 hours. Once its up it runs fine. I can turn off the machine and power it right back up with no problem but If I wait 5 min the process starts all over. It was suggested that I go through and start replacing caps 1 at a time but Im a bit reluctant to just go after it. Would rather do some research and ask questions first. Does anyone know where I might start? I suspected a faulty 24v power supply when it had a load but after I replaced it the problem still exist. Any way to isolate where the problem might be?

Craig

The 24V power supply goes to the TNC power supply. You need to check that for the proper voltages coming out.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The voltage output with the TNC disconnected is 24v. Once the TNC is connected the voltage drops to 15.5v until it decides to power up at which point the voltage is 24v again. Same result with both regulated power supplys.

Maybe your machine is different. The TNC2500 had a power supply that took 24 VDC coming in. There was a wire loom of 6 or 8 wires going from the TNC power supply to the actual control. Some of these wire looms with plugs on each end, were defective because we had to replace them (18 years ago when the control first came out).
    Either the TNC is bringing down the power supply or the power supply is bringing down the 24VDC. It is standard operating procedure to replace old electrolytic capacitors because they go bad with age. Not so with tantalum or ceramic capacitors.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i have also face this problem before. need to power "on" the mc 6am in the morning wait till about 9-10 am before the NC unit is able to power up. Change the PSU and problem solved. but 1 thing must take note, the PSU ampere must be the same type. refer to the OEM unit. A PSU iwth a different amp but 24VDC will not work. equivalent or slightly higher.