586,106 active members*
3,009 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rutex status??

I was planning to buy a set of drives for my retrofit and came across Rutex Drives. They fit the bill from the voltage (100 volt vs 80 for gecko) and they are in my price range, but after looking at some older messages there were talks of the Rutex owner shutting down the business. Is this still the case? I just want to make sure if I buy the drives there will be some level of support and future replacement/new parts.

Any opinions on the drives?? Like em/Hate em....

btt

Rutex status?

I would give Tom Eldrige ( Rutex USA ) a call or e-mail him stateside on the availability of the drives. I had a drive go down a while back. No drives were in stock stateside. At that time it was questionable when replacements would be shipped. A gentleman contacted me and sold me his new drives from an unfinished project. That saved my a..
    Talk to Tom about availability. He will give you an honest answer as well as excellent support.
    I hope Australia has gotten back on track.

JohnD

Be very careful when choosing the drives for your application. I initially bought the 100v drive because I had a 100v system, turns out the 100v card will not tolerate even 101v .I then bought the 2020 drives , one faulty motherboard and one blown drive card ( both replaced under warranty) I have a working system .I am nervous of this set-up and do not trust the cards as they do not have overload protection that reacts quick enough to protect the drive. This can happen during motor tuning .Tom will probably correct me on this but I think I am right in saying they do not actually the current capacity that they claim to have and braking resistors are required . An upgrade was supposedly in the pipe line to overcome all this and it was agreed that the cards could be exchanged when these became available but I doubt this will ever happen now .Initially I heard the main man in Australia could not be contacted and business had ceased, and then that they had been bought over by some one else. Its all a bit complicated for someone who just want to run a dependable machine. Personally I am about to place an order for some Viper drives ,
    Cheers.

I am not able to enter rutex.com !!!
    May i please ask: what is the status of Rutex, are they still in business?

thanks,
    ddanutz1

Tom Eldredge

All,

Yes, Rutex is still in business. I have been selling, shipping, and supporting Rutex products steadily since November 2007. For six months last year, it seems as though the home office in Australia was not responding to any inquiries. However it has been pretty good since then.

Yes, the Rutex drives are somewhat over-rated in their drive capacity. If you want to discuss your particular application with me feel free to call me at 573 341 1528 or email me at [email protected]. I prefer phone support.

In addition to selling them, I have over a hundred of the R2020 drives all over this continent working faithfully driving Nema 42 motors at 19 inch lbs of torque. The R2010 drives are very reliable if matched to the proper size motors. We have a document entitled "MOTOR and Drive matching" on the Rutex.com (USA) web site for downloading that should help in drive sizing.

I do not set the Rutex policies, and I do not make or specify the drives. I do sell and support them, and have been available for support daily for over four years. I hope that the Rutex product line will continue to be available for many years. This year Vladimir is working on making some improvements to the drives and filling out his product line, but it seems to be slow in coming.

Anyhow, we are here, and we still stand behind the warrantees.

Tom Eldredge,
    Rutex LLC
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Tom,

Thank you very much for this information, it feels so good to know you are still there, i am sorry if i have caused any trouble !!
    I will try to contact you by phone during today. I do not know why, but i still cannot access the website!

Thank you,
    ddanutz1