586,112 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Feed and Speed 300 series Tornos?

Feed and Speed 300 series Tornos?

I started a job a few months ago and we have a few Tornos Bechler ENC16 with Fanuc O-T controls. This is my first contact with Swiss Type machines, so pardon my ignorance.
    I am learning by studying the existing programs, and one thing that caught my eye are the feed and speeds used, they seem very slow to me. Mostly we machine .500 dia. or less 300 series stainless. The feed rates range from .0008 IPR to .002 IPR, with spindle RPM in the 1000, to 2800 range. I assume, since there are hundreds of programs that exist, all programmed the same way, that there must be a reason for the slower feed rates on these machines? If anybody can enlighten me as to why this is I'd greatly appreciate it.

Well having run Swiss for quite awhile I would guess you are running 316ss and are not using the best grade of insert available. That would explain the slow RPM.
    The feedrate could be due to a heavy depth of cut, which is common on a swiss machine, and/or you have a small radius on your insert and require a nice finish.
    There are a high majority of swiss machines running medical parts which require both small radius, .005max, and very nice finishes, 16 finish is about the average.
    You are right to question this. You should research the tooling and spend alittle more on that. The extra production will more than pay the increased cost.

Thanks for the reply cogsman1. I should have mentioned that the insert that is predominately being used is a Kennametal 1/64th radius KC5025. Depths of cut are well within the insert recommendations, nothing that I would call heavy. Kennametal seems to be the favorite brand of both tooling and insert here. These parts require a decent finish, but nothing spectacular. I see no reason why these feedrates cannot be significantly increased, unless there is a machine related reason that I don't get here?

:withstupi
    Duplicate post erased, sorry 'bout that

Yeah, those feeds and speeds seem low, espically if you are running 303...
    i'm turning down 1/4" Hex 303 to .150" at 6500RPM and .006IPR, with a 32 finish and that's with freakin ETCO tooling... inserts last for 24-36 run hours(not too sure about time in cut, but it's substantial). your kennametal should be able to do way better than that

tell us a little more info on some of your parts and we can help you out.... Type of stainless, dia of part, ETC...