586,082 active members*
3,553 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > What is up with Vectric's product lineup?

What is up with Vectric's product lineup?

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand Vectric's product lineup.

Cut2d is supposed to be for simple 2.5 axis work, but they purposefully left out tabs, I guess they felt it would cannibalize Vcarve sales.

Vcarve pro does 2.5 axis with tabs, and "kind of" does 3d. It has design features I do not need, and don't want to pay for, but if I want tabbing, I have to buy it rather than cut2d. Do not tell me to model tabs, I will not listen to that claptrap.

Cut3d does real 3-axis machining, but will it do 2.5 axis machining? I do all my work in Rhino, I just need a simple cam program I can import files into, and set up my toolpaths for 2.5axis and 3axis machining WITH TABS.

From what I can tell, this means I have to buy VcarvePro(tons of features I don't need, I am not in the sign-making business) AND Cut3d. I don't want to do this. I will gladly pay for Cut2d and 3d, if 2d had tabs. I don't want to pay for features I will never use.

Furthermore, does Cut2d have ANY feature that VcarvePro does not have? If not, why on earth does Vectric sell a combo with VcarvePro and Cut2d?

Rumor has it that tabs may be appearing in Cut2D very soon.

Poking around on their website, I'll have to agree with you that I can't see any reason to buy both Cut2D and Vcarve Pro. Perhaps Tony can answer that one?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Furthermore, does Cut2d have ANY feature that VcarvePro does not have? If not, why on earth does Vectric sell a combo with VcarvePro and Cut2d?

I couldn't find a bundle that included both "VCP + Cut2D" on the Vectric site.

The main things that are included with VCP that I don't see in Cut2D are:

1) Trace Image

2) Text

3) Layers

4) Tabs

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    I could have sworn I saw one there this morning. Guess I should read slower.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My eyes must have been playing tricks with me, as they do seem to offer every other combination besides the one I accused them of offering.

Of all of those features, only Tabs matter to me, I bought Rhino, which is a far more powerful design program, I do not want to pay for design features in Vcarve that I will not use, like I said before, I'm not a sign shop, I don't care about text tools.

Cut2d not having tabs is simply them forcing you to upgrade for a very basic feature. Sure you could model them, and after doing that 2 or 3 times, you'd get sick of it and want it to be built into the cam program. So I guess they reason people will go shell out more money for a program with a tons of features that they don't want or need, just so they can get basic functionality like tabs.

Does anyone here have cut3d? If it can do 3d, what keeps it from doing 2.5 axis machining? Did they somehow block out the ability to profile in the program?

Glenwood

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post

The main things that are included with VCP that I don't see in Cut2D are:

1) Trace Image

2) Text

3) Layers

4) Tabs

If you can save the file from Rhino to one of the extensions that Cut3D supports, it looks like you could do 2D work, I don't use Rhino or Cut3D. I do have the Trial Version of Cut3D, from what I've found it looks possible to 2D by working with the slider in "Cut Plane Position in Model" see image below.

I only ran the roughing & cut-out toolpaths.

Image Below:

1) Slider

2) Top Toolpath

3) Bottom Cut-out

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Quote Originally Posted by GEMorris View Post
    My eyes must have been playing tricks with me, as they do seem to offer every other combination besides the one I accused them of offering.

Of all of those features, only Tabs matter to me, I bought Rhino, which is a far more powerful design program, I do not want to pay for design features in Vcarve that I will not use, like I said before, I'm not a sign shop, I don't care about text tools.

Cut2d not having tabs is simply them forcing you to upgrade for a very basic feature. Sure you could model them, and after doing that 2 or 3 times, you'd get sick of it and want it to be built into the cam program. So I guess they reason people will go shell out more money for a program with a tons of features that they don't want or need, just so they can get basic functionality like tabs.

Does anyone here have cut3d? If it can do 3d, what keeps it from doing 2.5 axis machining? Did they somehow block out the ability to profile in the program?

Glenwood
    Hello Glenwood,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the functionality in Cut2D and for clarification - we don't offer a bundle of VCarve Pro + Cut2D.

We have been reviewing whether to include Tabs in Cut2D and will make an announcement later this week.

It's never easy trying to offer a lower cost product because everyone has their own specific requirements that would make the software suitable for their application 'if it only had a_nother_feature'.

For more information on the differences between VCarve Pro and Cut2D see,

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...cp_vs_c2d.html

As switcher has said - Cut3D is designed for toolpathing 3D models and does not open / import 2D files. Cut3D designs can be combined with VCarve Pro projects if both 3D and 2D toolpaths are needed.

I hope this helps answer your questions,

Tony

Tony,

I understand where you are coming from, but it would be nice if you just had one package with 2.5 axis and 3 axis cam capability, all under one roof.

I feel like right now the only way for my needs to be met by your product is to buy Vcarve Pro, and Cut 3d. If vcarve pro is your premium product, then by all means put all the features in it, don't leave some in a sideline product!

I just feel like vcarve pro is charging me for a whole lot of things I do not need. I like the idea of a clean simple interface, but frankly I do not care if you came up with 24,000 ways of making signs, I don't want to pay for those features.

Quote Originally Posted by GEMorris View Post
    I feel like right now the only way for my needs to be met by your product is to buy Vcarve Pro, and Cut 3d. If vcarve pro is your premium product, then by all means put all the features in it, don't leave some in a sideline product!

You have to understand that VCarve Pro is basically just a 2D (2.5D) package. It works in a completely different way then Cut3D does, and the toolsets in each are very different. You can use all the features in VCarve Pro in one part, if you choose to, but you wouldn't be able to do anything Cut3D does to that part if the two feature sets were combined into one product. It just doesn't make sense to make an application with double the features, but you can only use half at a time. Which is why they are separate. If you need everything in both, then buy a bundle.

But if all you really need is tabs to make Cut2D work for you, wait for Tony's announcement.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Hi Guys,
    My work recently bought Vcarve and Cut3D as a bundle and it's great software. A lot cheaper and better than the other software out there.
    I would of waited 2 weeks and got Cut2D and Cut3D but didn't know it was coming out. But Vcarve is a lot more powerful and we will use the extra features.

So GEMorris if you spend $995 for one software (Rhino) but spending less for that for 2 softwares your having a whine.
    Or you bought the student version, then say no more.

You can always a pluigin software like visualmill. Oh wait thats about $4000.

So Vectric software is looking pretty good by now.

Maybe GEMorris you should look at Lazycam It's only $50.

Bones

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post

We have been reviewing whether to include Tabs in Cut2D and will make an announcement later this week

This is good news indeed. I have had the opinion that this omission was not a good decision and rectification was inevitable since first reviewing Cut2D.

Greg

Morris,
    I hope you get what you want, Tabs.

I can tell you, you would love the Pro version, and I'm guessing you would use many of the features. It's just to easy to use. I do 95% of my drawing right inside of VcarvePro. Very seldom do I need to draw anything in a CAD program. Even if I use a dxf from some other source I usually tweak it inside VcarvePro.

(that doesn't apply to solid modeling and Cuts3d, you still need to do solid modeling in your Rhino program).

Yesterday, I took a photo of a piece of furniture. VcarvePro scanned the image, traced it, scaled it, and I was cutting a replacement piece within 15 minutes. All in 2.5 D. Yes I wanted and used tabs, so I feel your pain.

It's awesome software, and way cheaper then the alternatives. I do hope you get your wish of tabs in Cuts2D.

Tabs in Cut 2D

I just looked at Vectric website and Cut2D now lists tabs , as a feature !

"Interactive Tab / Bridge placement to ensure parts are securely held in place when cutting from sheet material. "

http://vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/cut2D/c2d_index.htm
    Dave
    "updates always change the feature you need most. "

Well spotted Dave,

We have released Cut2D version 1.1 today and this includes the option to add Tabs to Profile Toolpaths. After releasing Cut2D at the beginning of March we received negative feedback about the lack of Tabs, so this has been addressed in version 1.1.

Note - Existing customers wil lbe emailed the new version.

The Free Trial version of Cut2D has also been updated to allow the Tab feature to be tested using the evaluation files.

Below are a couple of photo's wing ribs machined with Cut2D by customer Andrew Dale of Minimach Ltd using the new Tab functionality.

Let me kow if you have any questions.

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ribs.jpg   wing.jpg  

Tony,

Thank you! I will be buying Cut2d soon, and if that lives up to expectations, Cut3d soon after that!

Bones,

I did buy an edu copy of Rhino while I was in school, so yeah, big price difference

Hi Guys,
    It's good to hear that tabs have been added.

Yes a huge difference between educational and manufacture in rhino.
    It makes it afordable for learning.

Cheers
    Bones

Vectric has great visionary team No body can beat them...