586,100 active members*
2,853 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DeskCNC quality???

Anyone have any comments on the quality/user friendliness/customer support on DeskCNC. I'm considering the purchase of their package but am discouraged by what I see on their web site. Documentation that is worse than useless and the free version seems to not represent the product well (especially given the dismal documentation.)

The hype on the product paints a rosey picture, but as the saying goes "Where's the beef?".

I would like for someone (acutally several someones) to tell me it's a product worth buying, but right now I'm not willing to risk the money on what seems to be a substardard product (or at least substandard documentation/support).

Regards,
    Gary
    K7OIJ
    http://www.mypage.net

comments

I replaced turbocnc with deskcnc and controller.

Yes the docs are sparse but you can piece together what you need to get the system working.

I like getting instant results, and you can with deskcnc. The ability to import a dxf and cut within seconds without an extra toolpath generator is very cool.
    It may not be the best, but it's very good.

I have 2 machines that use it and I'll likely have 2 more shortly.

Also, it's cheap.

regards,
    KI4OMG
    my projects:
    http://www.barryfish.com

They make a good product. I have used the DeskNC control card and software for about 5 years. Their customer support is great! When I have questions, they generally answer the phone right off and if your have to leave a message they usually return the call within the same day.

My opinion don't buy anything from imservice

I've been over 3 years and $3000.00 and still no luck getting my sherline cnc mill up and running. Phone suppport sucks, no manual. They told me easy cnc was all the answers I'd need; $40.00 later a book that is 50 percent about obsolete software shows up and the rest of the book is all about the easy stuff you can figure out on your own. If your already a wizard when it comes to building, operating and troubleshooting cnc's then I guess I'd say buy it. If your looking for an easy to learn system that works out of the box spend your money elsewhere.

Hi Djtoolz.
    I,m the reseller in The Netherlandsfor Deskcnc. There is no problem what so ever with Deskcnc. It is a superieur CNC programm. Of course when I sell a system customer needs some help and support but when they are familair with the programm they agree with me that is is better as Mach3. As for support of IMserve, Fred Smith is the expert on Deskcnc!.
    I think there must be other problems as for the software it self.
    I have a special breakout borad for Deskcnc .

rgds Cees
    www.leeuwinga.nl

Superior Product , Desk CNC 2nd Gen. controller ,but
    don't expect much support depending where you buy it.

GREAT product.
    Been using for a couple of years.

I have a second gen. controller.
    Sherline mill, upgraded with A2Zcnc stuff.
    New leadscrews (sherlines suck), new table, risers, etc...

Go for it!

Works great with my gantry mill. At the start I used laptop - was lot of problems, program freeze or die off at all. Then bring back my old 1G PC from cellar (bought lcd monitor for saving the room) - not problems anymore. I dont want heard about steppers I had before - never.

DeskCNC is definitely worth the money. I ordered three units after a router purchased came with it. It works great and is easy to use. The router had DeskCNC but not the controller, so some of the features are not available. After my other machines are built (three in process) , I'll build a full DeskCNC controller for the router. The router came with very little training, so I worked through many aspects of the software and hardware. I thrive on figuring it out, it's half the fun. The breakout board offered gives useful outputs for accessories on your system, which you may want to add in the future.

There is a book called 'Easy CNC' by David Benson which gives plenty of info on CNC and stresses advantages and ease of use of DeskCNC. It is offered on IMService, where they also have the DeskCNC software and controller board etc.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahcnc View Post
    DeskCNC is definitely worth the money. I ordered three units after a router purchased came with it. It works great and is easy to use. The router had DeskCNC but not the controller, so some of the features are not available. After my other machines are built (three in process) , I'll build a full DeskCNC controller for the router. The router came with very little training, so I worked through many aspects of the software and hardware. I thrive on figuring it out, it's half the fun. The breakout board offered gives useful outputs for accessories on your system, which you may want to add in the future.
    Is this the IM Service router? What kind of carving speeds are you seeing?? I can do pocket and contour milling all day at 100 IPM and 200 IPM rapids... but on complex, detail intensive XYZ moves, it faults the Z. Unless I have it down to 20 IPM. Puzzled as to why... done everything they wanted and still not fixed. This is a factory built router and control/power supply.

Is this the IM Service router? What kind of carving speeds are you seeing?? I can do pocket and contour milling all day at 100 IPM and 200 IPM rapids... but on complex, detail intensive XYZ moves, it faults the Z. Unless I have it down to 20 IPM. Puzzled as to why... done everything they wanted and still not fixed. This is a factory built router and control/power supply
    No, not a IMService router. It's a 62" x 100" x 3.5" typical cutting with a 5/16 solid carbide two flute at 16,000 is 120 IPM cutting teak, oak, maple, composites, or cherry. Z is usually F30. I had the rapid traverse wound out to over 1000 IMP, but it skipped steps occasionally, so reduced it to 650. I haven't squeeezed the machining times too much, because once the program starts, I go back in the house until its finished. Does your Z axis move freely when system is off? Mechanical binding may cause the fault. I have worked on an 11 axis system with two Z's which were air cylinder assisted to reduce upward load. My current Z set up will usually drop the router when power is removed, as the "ball screw" and plastic nut are not the ideal units for this application.

No, not a IMService router. It's a 62" x 100" x 3.5" typical cutting with a 5/16 solid carbide two flute at 16,000 is 120 IPM cutting teak, oak, maple, composites, or cherry. Z is usually F30. I had the rapid traverse wound out to over 1000 IMP, but it skipped steps occasionally, so reduced it to 650. I haven't squeeezed the machining times too much, because once the program starts, I go back in the house until its finished. Does your Z axis move freely when system is off? Mechanical binding may cause the fault. I have worked on an 11 axis system with two Z's which were air cylinder assisted to reduce upward load. My current Z set up will usually drop the router when power is removed, as the "ball screw" and plastic nut are not the ideal units for this application.
    Looks like you have a stepper system vs a servo, which should be faster. All the axis are very free.
    Have you ever tried V Carve Pro, where you use a V shaped bit that is constantly in motion on all 3 axis at the same time? Like I said, pocket or contour not a problem all day at the settings above, maybe faster... but I don't see the need to hammer the machine around on short moves.
    Carving is a real test of the machine, and I would like to know how others are doing with a similar set up?

Looks like you have a stepper system vs a servo, which should be faster. All the axis are very free.
    Have you ever tried V Carve Pro, where you use a V shaped bit that is constantly in motion on all 3 axis at the same time? Like I said, pocket or contour not a problem all day at the settings above, maybe faster... but I don't see the need to hammer the machine around on short moves.
    Carving is a real test of the machine, and I would like to know how others are doing with a similar set up?
    Correct, 500 oz in steppers, two on the Y gantry. Yes, love the V Carve Pro. I use this for most of what I run, as it is so easy to use. I've done a couple of sign jobs which had me looking like a wizard. It's an excellent value, and it generated DeskCNC G-code with the included post the first time out. It's great to design, test and preview the end result before firing up the router in a comfortable environment. I've been thinking about their new Aspire, looks pretty good.

Smile

Correct, 500 oz in steppers, two on the Y gantry. Yes, love the V Carve Pro. I use this for most of what I run, as it is so easy to use. I've done a couple of sign jobs which had me looking like a wizard. It's an excellent value, and it generated DeskCNC G-code with the included post the first time out. It's great to design, test and preview the end result before firing up the router in a comfortable environment. I've been thinking about their new Aspire, looks pretty good.
    I did purchase VCarve Pro, great software. Still working with slower speeds on carving that I would like, but I don't like to push the envelope anyway. Looking for ways to make a little cash with the machine now....BG

Question

So how are you figuring your Ipm carving speed? Is it the sum of all the axis speeds? Just wondering.

So how are you figuring your Ipm carving speed? Is it the sum of all the axis speeds? Just wondering.
    For each tool chosen for a given toolpath generated in VCarve Pro, you can set the feed speed (X and Y), as well as the plunge speed, (Z). If you generate a carving toolpath at one setting, you can generate the easier profile cut out at another. The generated toolpaths can then be combined when saved through the post processor, which is an awesome feature. Currently it can only be done on my DeskCNC setup if the same tool is used. I'm working on a way to simulate toolchanges from V bit to flat end mill bit, so I don't have to change bits and rehome the Z.