586,115 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad and script letters

Bobcad and script letters

I have seen
    some script letters done with a cnc router and a Vcutter , the beginning and end of the letters tapers in and out making nice hand written like lettering. Could this be done with Bob-Cad ?I can do lettering with script but they start and end at the same Z level...

This type of functionality is not yet available in any of the BobCAD systems.

Regards

Could it be done ( manually) with the approach-depart function?

I wouldn't suggest trying it that way. The problem is that you need to get a centerline based on the conical tip of the tool. Currently, BobCAD does not support this.

If you were to use the approach and depart options, you would not have the control over the toolpath that is generated and subsequently you would not be able to generate what it is you are trying to generate.

Sorry, it looks like you may have hit a wall.

On the other hand, if you are using V21 I have a script that will generate pocket style movements based on the conical shape and the profiles of the letters. Like I said, it is a pocklet style toolpath and not centerline.

Regards

Since I was thinking of just using stroke font and a Vcutter for this, do you think I could translate my toolpath to -Z , then by using the break many or divide in conjuction with approach-depart function to taper the beginning and end of the toolpath in and out of -Z to Z=0 ? Then use the 3d option in the cam end of course. Any better idea?

Thanks for answering.

I have thought about trying to do this very thing with the RAMP Tool function. It would have been very tedious to do, but It would have been possible. It would require drawing start point in the proper position to create the ramp into the workpiece that looks right. I gave up on it because it would not have been practical to do unless I were to be engraving the same lettering many times.

Jim

Since I was thinking of only using this a the start and end of a word it could have been done easily enough. But I see the wall that Mr. The One was talking about , you cannot combine the spline or straight line of the ramp with the curve of the toolpath.