586,426 active members*
3,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Source for CAD models of auto parts

Source for CAD models of auto parts

I'm working on designing some parts to fit different automotive engines -- like the Chevy V8 currently.

Does anyone know of a source for (accurate) 3D models of existing parts like engine assemblies?

Joe

I don't know of any sources. However, I have a friend that is in the engine and associated machining business and I will ask him.

Thanks, I appreciate that!

I'm looking into having some stock parts laser scanned as an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by katiebo View Post
    I don't know of any sources. However, I have a friend that is in the engine and associated machining business and I will ask him.

Look into becoming a member of SEMA. They can open quite a few doors for you.

I spoke to my friend and he does not know of any sources for drawing. He recommended a book by the title "Chevy Performance".

I looked into having the part laser scanned and then a parametric model created based on the point cloud from the scan. It wasn't that expensive, but probably more that we can afford on this project.

Are you looking for a DXF of a complete engine? If you just want a complete engine and put your own custom manifold or headers on it, just google "share .DXF" or maybe try .DWG, I know I found a site once that people would share compete engine drawings, not sure if they were scaled properly, but I have one I downloaded of a turbocharger, pretty detailed, almost as if it was scanned.

There are some here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=116868 If you email the guy, he may give you the SB Chevy engine model.

jgro

I did get the models from him, thanks a million foor pontinig that out.

They aren't accurate or detailed enough to pick up reference points from, but it is handy for mocking up for visualization.

Quote Originally Posted by jgro View Post
    There are some here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=116868 If you email the guy, he may give you the SB Chevy engine model.

jgro

Quote Originally Posted by jmcglynn View Post
    I did get the models from him, thanks a million foor pontinig that out.

They aren't accurate or detailed enough to pick up reference points from, but it is handy for mocking up for visualization.
    I went there to see what was available and got a TH350 Casing with tail and tranny pan in STEP Format. Good enough to get a few specs and play around with. It is enough to create a shell model on your own then gut one from a junk yard to get the internal specs for the planetary housing, helical gears, sprags, and valve body. It would also give you experience with reverse engineering and design.

What exactly are you looking for??? I would think that a fully modeled SBC won't be given on a website freely.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com