586,096 active members*
3,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

stepper motor with 4 wires

Hi!
    I have a stepper motor 1.8 deg/step with 4 wires and 8 windings inside. Question is- what tipe of motor is it? Bipolar or unipolar motor?
    Thanks!

bipolar motors only have 4 wires as far as I know.

Ok, than it is bipolar motor, and i have a driver connected to the PC for bipolar motors, but motor does not work... Its make noise, but there is no movement...

so, where is the problem? why motor does not work?

Hello,
    I had the same problem with my unipolar motors in the past. Turned out they were wired incorrectly. Bipolar motors have two coils in them each with two wires. Try using a multimeter to test to see which wires go together. Resistance between two wires means their connected. Each wire should only have one other connected to it. hope that helps. Your board should tel you where each pair go.

Chuck

4 wires motor is precofigured as bipolar mode. 8 wire motors can be wired as unipolar and Bipolar. see a example
    http://www.kelinginc.net/SMotorstock.html
    http://www.kelinginc.net/KL23H286-20-08B.pdf

I had tryed all possible combinations of wire connection to driver, but motorr still dont move..
    Driver have three incoming wires from batteries + - and 0, where i must connect 0 wire?
    Thanks.

What kind of driver are you using(make and model)?

There is poor info about controller.. It is bought on Ebay, type M106. There is something from description-
    "For controlling a 4-lane bipolar stepper motor 3...17 V, max. 2 ampere. A double power pack (split power supply) is required for the current supply.Operating voltage: 4...18 V split power supply. Double DC voltage, dependent on the connected motor (always 1 V more than the motor requires). Motor connection: 1 bipolar stepper motor 4 connections 3...17 V max."
    What means SPLIT POWER SUPPLY?

A split power supply is one that provides two voltages, such as plus and minus 5v. My guess is that the connector you were asking about with three connections(+,-,o) is as follows: "+" is for the positive voltage from your power supply(example +3...17v), "-" is for the negative supply(example -3...17v), and "o" is for ground. If your only using a one sided supply then thats probably the reason your motors don't run. You could probably build your own with a center tapped transformer and a few voltage regulators. Have any experience with a soldering iron? You could probably find a schematic online. Be careful tho, AC can be dangerous!!

Thats sounds good!! Thats means the simple battery will not work? As i know, PC power supply have +5V and -5V output. I will try to do some experiments with this transformer.

You could test it out with two batteries, tho it would be a temporary solution.
    connect two batteries in series + goes to positive, - to negative battery connection and ground goes to the connection between batteries.

(Negative Supply goes here) -Battery+ (Ground Here) -Battery+ (Positive Supply Goes Here)

Finaly i found the reason of my problems... This four wire stepper motor is not bibolar... it is hybrid tipe...

Hybrid just refers to the internal construction of the motor, and has nothing to do with being bipolar. Many bipolar stepper motors are hybrid, and they use the same drivers as any other bipolar stepper motor. Your problem is probably still with the connections to the driver, most likely either the power supply or the step/direction inputs.

I just found the data sheet for that M106 drive, and it is a very primative drive. It does not have step/direction inputs and has no current control. It probably won't work with any software except that which came with the drive. You will need a split power supply rated 1 volt higher than the voltage rating of your motors. For example, if your motor is rated at 5 volts, you would need a supply with +6 volt and -6 volt outputs.

http://www.kemo-electronic.com/pdf/m106/m106.pdf
    http://www.kemo-electronic.com/en/module/m106/index.htm

I dont know correctly the voltage rating for this motor, but i think it is 12-15V. Thats means i need to try voltages from 13-16V? But why motor can not work with lower voltages?

A 12 volt motor should work on 5 volts, but it would not have much torque and would not be able to step very fast. You said you are using a PC power supply and that might be the problem. The negative voltages from a PC supply will usually not supply very much current. Also, like I said, those drives will only work with the software that came with it or download from the site I linked.