586,075 active members*
4,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Any money in this?

Any money in this?

Hello all,
    I apologize for the shameless attempt at an attention getting title. My name is Tom and I have just recently come across this forum on the internet. I have about 8 or 9 years of NC experience, but it was from the early 80's through 1991 and haven't done anything in the field since. About two years ago I inherited a little South Bend lathe, then I bought a little milling machine, then some plans off of eBay for a homemade CNC router (which I have not built yet), now I'm hooked all over again!

So now, as the title implies, I am wondering if there is sufficient demand for CNC services to make a go of it? I have been assuming that much of the CNC work has been offshore outsourced, is this so?

Just to provide a little more background, I went to a trade school after high school and worked for a couple of years running mostly 4-axis E-Cell-O and K&T machines. I then went to work for Boeing and was put through their 320-hour NC programming course. I programmed in APT, mostly 5-axis stuff, for about 6 years. They were transitioning to CATIA during the last year or so I was there. I also worked for about a year for LTV Aerospace programming a CMM, but really preferred to make chips.

I'm sure a whole lot has changed in the last 17 years, but I feel that the basics are all pretty much there. I'd love to buy a little Haas mill and run it in my garage of an evening and on the weekends (sounds familiar, eh) but don't know if it would be a losing proposition.

Thanks for any thoughts or words of wisdom,

Tom

oh yes, a lot. but it has the wrong sign (-). (nuts)

actually, the people who are making money might not be so quick to responding for further information. macroeconomics in play...

Everybody I know is at a large net fiscal loss, but with an extreme nontangentable return in knowledge and experience.

make sure to find a nitch, cnc kits, quick change tooling, and homemade cnc kits seem a bit saturated. I have a couple of side projects planned (i made first purchase this week), but will be using these boards to post information on builds and to pass on any hard won experiences to others.

Having been a woodworker or years, I know it can make some money, but it is not nearly enjoyable.

Yeah Tom I think you should go out and buy a 5 axis Haas. Just make sure you buy American. You CAN DO IT!!!! While your out there buying your 5 axis Haas make sure you pick up a mazaak turning center while your at it. Good luck...