586,094 active members*
4,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Machining wood on my CNC mill?

I've got a CNC mill for metalworking, but a customer has asked if I can do a small job out of wood.

Its just 4 pieces of white oak, 1" x 7" and 40" long and he wants a ballnose cutter run down the length a few times to put some shallow channels in it.

So I figured I'd just hold my shop vac close to the tool as it cuts to gather up the dust coming off, figure it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thought I'd run it by you guys to make sure I'm not missing something and damage my machine.

Also, I just wanted to use my regular metalworking ballnose mill, will that work or should I get something specific for wood? Depth of channels will be 1/4", and tool diameter will be somewhere around 1/2", maybe bigger.

Thanks...

I've done a little wood work w/shop vac nice and close and have always had good results. Use a nice and sharp cutter and you should have good results.

However, I have heard somewhere before that wood particles can cause some sort of damage to a machine over time though. Maybe someone can explain or dismiss this?

Hi Driftwood
    I's not a problem the only thing that the wood dust can do is dry up any oil some
    wood can also cause rusting on the exposed cast parts if left & not cleaned up (that have no paint on them) but a good clean down when finished & there will not be a problem, I do it all the time as far as a cutter goes what ever you have will work just fine or a trip to the hardware store & get some router cutters will work to
    Mactec54

The problem with cutting wood on any machine is that it soaks up moisture in the air. So if you just let it sit, anywhere there are wood chips left will rust. other than that no prob at all.