586,068 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 3 crashes my PC

Am just starting out with Mach3 on my desktop PC - for now I have the demo version only and haven't even completed my CNC machine yet... ]

My system is a little under spec, but fairly zippy in general and certainly not in bad shape for an elderly PC. The driver test works OK. It's an AMD Athlon 801MHz 384MB RAM. The crash manifests itself as a complete reset of the computer, i.e. like pressing the reset button on the front. On startup the message is 'Windows has recovered from a serious error. The crash can happen at any time, but generally it's when flicking around the screens or selecting a command, say. Left running as it would be when controlling the CNC machine, it seems fairly happy.

Also on the subject.... I had a quick play with LazyCam. I made myself a DXF in AutoCad, saved in the R112/LT2 format. Whatever I try, even something as simple as a line or a rectangle, I get the message 'No entities found' when importing into LazyCam. Any ideas?

Cheers - Rich

go into the mach folder , click on and install the special driver
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

OK thanks - what's the folder/filename I'm looking for within c:\mach3?

Cheers - Rich

that would be the one
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

specialdriver.bat I think
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OK I have tried the new driver (and a restart). It seems a little more stable, however still can crash at any time for no obvious reason. I also have a laptop which I might be able to use - that doesn't have a parallel port, but would I be OK using a USB -> Parallel converter cable? A colleague was telling me the drivers to make these work are built into Windows anyway. I've never had the software crash on the laptop. It's odd - the laptop seems much slower actually since it is bogged down with all sorts of stuff, but the spec of the machine is higher.

When people talk about Mach3 crashes, is this generally the system taking a complete dump like is happening to me, or just the application crashing within Windows without taking the system out completely

Thanks

First, a USB > Parallel adapter won't work.

And Mach3 actually takes over control of windows, so when it crashes, it crashes hard.

On a very few, usually older PC's, Mach may not run at all. But for most PC's, steps can be taken that will get it to work OK. But it's not a simple process. Follow the instructions in this list, one at a time, checking after each step. If that doesn't work, you could try reinstalling windows and see if that works.

Another option is to use an external pulse generator via USB, like the NcPod or Smoothstepper, which was released this week.

www.oemtech.com
    www.warp9td.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi,

Interesting subject; Mach3 having trouble with Windows or your hardware. Sounds familiar to me.

What kind of O.S. do you use? guessing WinXp, I think its best if you Use a Clean WinXp because the system properties you have are a bit low for Xp, but it can work "fine" (I use the same stuff for my machine) So just format your whole PC and reinstall Xp on it. (do also h.w. drivers)

As I said, I also have an older PC, with AMD Duron @800 MHz and 384 MbRAM. I installed Mach3 on it and a program called 'parmon' for being able to see the status of the parallel port of the PC. Now, when I ran both Mach3 and parmon. (new installed WinXp pro Sp2),, everything looks okay. But as soon I give a Jog command, the pin assigned for the 'step' pulses stays deadly still

Earlier I installed everything on my laptop (with parport) just for finding out what Mach3 does. on the laptop Everything works fine! including the step & direction signal. I can see the pin('s) assigned for the 'step' flashing in the 'parmon' program.

I attached the Parmon programm if you are interested

Does anyone have input on this?

Tanks, Patrick
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Patrick.

Yes it's Windows XP - I'm actually thinking another option might be to do a separate installation on the same PC, and see how that goes. In this way I'd get rid of all the additional drivers, software and so on which might be causing the problem. I'd prefer not to re-format the complete HD however.

Another option would be to buy an old (but adequate) PC from eBay - these seem the be available for not too much.

I'm actually familiar with parmon from a previous project I did, but thanks anyway!

Cheers - Rich

hi, Richster

that's fast!
    yes that could be a smart option, if you have enough space left on the D-disk. remeber to install al the MoBo. drivers.

question for you: if you run parmon while performing a Mach3 job, can you actualy see the 'step' pins flashing? (pin 2 and 4)

I don't know TBH. Will try and check it out at the weekend. Although isn't there a diagnostic screen built into Mach3 which does much the same? I have never connected up my interface board (since I haven't finished the machine!) but imagine it would work with ot without it.

THB?
    No, i didn't find a actual pin status view in the 'diagnostics screen' or the rest of Mach3, that shows the real state of every pin of the ltp port.

I almost have my machine ready for use, using servo controllers. but they don't work, as soon as give a Jog commando the servo controller goes into error! that's my reason for using parmon and chekking out the signals.

Hello,

Well, I've been busy this weekend aswell, and did come to a answere Hou is your problem doing? already installed Xp on the D-disk? cuz I still think a clean Xp could help.

I got my answere by connecting a resistor and LED to the 'step' pin of an old LTP calble. Then I tested it on the laptop and on the PC, and I saw light!, a weak LED was lighting when I commanded a Jog. on both systems.

I got happy this weekend

I gave up in the end and got a different PC, which solved all my crashing problems. Not so bad actually - it only cost me £20 on eBay It's an old Dell P4 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, running Windows 2K. More than up to the job.

Richster

Exclamation Win2000

IMHO Win200 is more than upto the job and doesn't wander off into the weeds doing stupid stuff like XP. A gave XP the flick and have no problems now. PC is still hooked up the network, internet, AVG antivirus and Mach3 working fine. If you turn off the machine and leave Mach3 dormant for a long time it seems to get a bit stuck, bit moving the window reveals a hidden dialog saying something like software limits exceeded or whatever else may be important.
    Artsoft. Please take note: I have always found it best to write my own error dialogs, so they don't consume all the resources waiting, and get lost under a window. Best they yield occasionally to make sure focus is not lost. Using a standard dialog message is doomed to create mystery hangs.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

i have had similar problems. on my main rig, q6600 at 3.6ghz(rock stable) and sli 8800gtx, i get BSOD's if i open, yet on a celeron D rig no problems.

heh. best of luck to ya

Re: Mach 3 crashes my PC

it was happening to me with windows 7 but after I let the updates go it works