586,106 active members*
3,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

SIEG X3 OWNERS chime in

Just wondering who here has an X3.

Yes, I have one and I love it... .I want to convert it to CNC but still looking for someone who has already done it so I can get some tips and directions!
    THanks!
    What size steppers/ servos ball screw info etc...
    Bob

Im in the middle of converting mine to CNC I got my servos and stuff from Camtronics and im in the middle of making ball screw assemby.

Very nice, what size servos are you planning on using? How do you plan to do the "Z" axis?
    Are you going to use preloaded nuts?
    I have lots of questions! :-)
    Thanks!
    Bob

I've had an X3 for a couple months now. Great machine. Doing business with Bob at Lathemaster is a pleasure too. No problems at all with it. Not planning on a CNC conversion any time soon but I do have a lot of the parts if I decide to. Anyone thinking about a larger mill than a Mini but smaller than a Bridgport should take a look at an X3.

Marv

I got the clifton 420 oz servos with 250 encoders. Im doing 4 axis on a 6 inch rotary table. The z axis will also be replaced with ball screws, Im going to remove the electronics control box and mount it on the wall then mount a servo behind the mill near the top of the z axis. This way I can run a belt right to the ball screw and not have to run through the rack and peanut gear. I will most likely take that gear off but im going to wait and see if it needs to be messed with.
    As for the ball nuts, im doing the preload by using 2 nuts locked together as some of the other guys have done.

So far I have manually milled the x axis servo and ball screw set up. Im going to mill the rest of the axis's before I start swapping them out. My goal is to not modify the mill it self at all, fabricating all now mounting blocks and plates for the ballscrews. That way if I mess up I can put the lead screws back on with no problems. As you can see in the photo above in my last post the plate is the same shape as the exsisting plate only thicker and taller to accept the servo mount. I have not installed the press bearings yet, but there are thrust bearings in the plate.

Replicapro,
    What are you calling the "rack and peanut gear"?

Marv

Thats What Homer Simpson calls Rack and pinion. Just a joke

Ok, I don't watch Homer.

Is this an x3?

The casting looks different. It's some other knock off.

No, that's bigger than an X3. Looks like a nice one though.

X3

Here's an X3. [/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On the Stand3.JPG  

no this is

Replicapro,
    What are you using for ball screws and did you turn down the ends yourself or did you buy them machined? Are you planning on supporting the left hand side of the X axis with a bearing or just letting it float free?
    Thanks!
    Bob

I bought my 5/8 ballscrews and nuts from http://www.mcmaster.com/
    The way the axis is set up there is a block mounted to the cast iron base so Im going to first attempt to reproduce the axis the same way it stands now so I can take advantage of all the exsisting mounting holes.

If you take the table off you will see the brass block that the lead screw goes through. I reproduced that part and mounted the ball nuts on it.

I decided not to turn down the ball screws, rather I made a coupler that is bored out to the diameter of the ballscrew and put 2 set screws in to mount it. You can see the coupler in the photo above.
    Basically the only new holes im going to make on the entire mill is on the rear of the z axis for a servo mount. Everything else will have swappable parts so I can go back and replace the original stock parts just incase. Of course im going to have to mount limit switches but that is minor modification.

All this of course is subject to change as I learn more about the requirements of ball screws.

Where can you buy an X3 in the US?

Looks like a great mill - do any suppliers here (HF?) have it?

The only supplier as far as I know is www.lathemaster.com It is not shown on his website but he has them. They are about $895. I got mine for $1075 shipping included. Only took 2 days to get from LA. to NJ and I picked it up at the truck companys dock to save about $100 on unloading fees.

Has anyone recently recieved a price qoute for a X3 from Lathmasters? I emailed them twice for a qoute but no reply back yet. This was a couple of weeks ago.

Jim

I think he was on a fishing trip. I would email him again. or call him

Page 1 of 2 12