586,082 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrade to Patriot Machine

Hello all,

I am considering upgrading to a full CNC capable Patriot machine from my old 2000 machine. Aside from the challenge of learning a new machine, Paramount to me is the quality of parts that this machine is capable of turning out. does anyone have any Pics of projects, and general knowledge about how well this machine works? I know I sound skeptical, but this is a lot of money any way you look at it and I do not want to be disappointed.

Thanks Larry

Larry if you decide to purchase a new machine . When you get the machine the first thing you do is pull the side spindle gearbox cover and inspect it. if the gear box has sand in it and the gears are not cleaned and bead blasted then send it back. It is not as advertized. Here is a picture of what it should look like if it is done properly. You will be paying a thousand dollars more for this service . This should include timkin bearings on both spindles also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gearbox 1.jpg  

Tweasl,
    I had read some posts from owners of the old style machines about finding sand in the gearbox and was a little concerned as well. I did exactly as the other guy suggested, and opened up my patriot gearbox right away. I was very pleased to find it spotlessly clean and even painted inside. I also noticed that all of the shafts now ride on caged and sealed needle bearings instead of bushings as the old machines had. The gears were well cut and run smooth. I think the shoptask folks have put a lot of effort into improving the quality and the functions with this move to a new factory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PATRIOT GEARBOX INSIDE.jpg  

If the shafts are on needle bearings then they must be case hardened . Small block can you scan the sections of your manual to show us the needle bearings and part numbers? It should be a good upgrade for older machines . Since the castings are basicly the same. It might need a new shaft but it will be well worth the effort. Your gearbox was painted after assembly now why would they do that unless you painted it. Why do you have your machine appart I thought it was good to go and you didn't have to do anything to it. I can tell you just painted it by the fresh paint in the alignment pin holes. Just like my housing . I haven't installed it yet and those holes need to be cleaned before you can install the pins.

Re: Patriot Machine

Thanks all for the input on what to expect when I purchase a machine. I'm still looking for some info on projects completed with this system as well as what people think about overall CNC function as pertaining to this machine.

Thanks Larry

i would tell you what i really think, but they would just delete my post. they will probably delete this one anyway. call me at 601-584-8450 8-5 cst.

Norvil take a close look at Smallblocks spindle housing. It is not on the machine. Now why would he he have to tear it down and repaint it . Isn't it the new Patriot machine. The one that is suppose to be ready to go.

Tweasl,
    I spoke to shoptask about doing the Patriot upgrade back when they were doing them here. JT told me it was possible and could be done by an owner for quite a bit less than their cost because of the labor savings. However, he says the new production built patriot has a lot of subtle differences in order to incorporate the caged needle bearings and other changes. To make these upgrades, some areas would have to be bored out and retainers machined for the bearings, plus the various shafts are of a different diameter and length. It could be done, but once you have your machine all taken apart you would have to rely on another machinist to do the work. Trading in is an option, but for me the distance makes shipping pretty expensive. I am thinking of selling my machine on E-Bay and if I can get a good price I will buy a new patriot.