586,103 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is this dangerous?

I have a Hitachi SJ200 VFD, single phase input that I've been happily using on my mill until it was pointed out to me that things may be wired unsafely.

220V comes from the panel via 2 pole breaker on #10/3 with ground to a 3 pole outlet, then the 2 hot legs and neutral down to the machine.
    The 2 hot legs then go to the VFD with 4 wires from VFD to the motor, UVW and chassis ground.
    A wire from the VFD chassis ground runs back to a stud in the machine switch box which had the neutral on it as well.

It gets dodgy as it was pointed out that a ground AND neutral should go to the machine, but I'm unsure how to accomplish that.

Do I need to change to a 4 pole outlet for the wire down to the machine?
    This has me confused because this is the OE wire with only 2 hots and a neutral for the original 1 phase 220 motor.

Where should neutral go to in the switch box if only the 2 hot legs go to the VFD?

TIA!

If you have just VFD on the outlet, you need just need a 2 pole and ground, you do not necessarily need a neutral, if you do you need a 4 pole outlet.
    The ground should not be connected to any neutral apart from the neutral and ground connection in the service panel.
    You should have a ground connected from the service to the VFD to the Motor, at no point should it come in contact with any neutral conductor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thank you sir!
    I've gotten it sussed out and everything's working well.