586,106 active members*
3,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Looking for eletrical Box and Power Supply.
Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy Looking for eletrical Box and Power Supply.

My Gecko 540 is coming in the mail shortly and I want to make a brand new enclosure for the 540 and wiring. I found a great enclosure for the 540 and electronics at Surpluscenter.com; Box is about 9.99 but the shipping is 15.00+ Almost 30.00 when all said an done. Are there any online stores or lowes/HD that may carry a decent size, 12 in, 4 in by 6 in enclosure? I am wondering if the 30.00 is worth it, I want to mount it on the way by my mill. Will contain 540, Power Supply, wiring, E-Stop and relays.

Second, I am now looking for a PS. So far, the cheapest I see for 48 volt 7.7 Amp is from Kelinginc.net @ 60.00 Are there any other places with at 48 volts-50 volts that can output at least 8 Amps? I found some online stores and actually found 50 volt @ either 15 or 12 amps (Can't remember) It was around 65.00. I'm also not sure on the wiring of those other types as opposed to the regular ones from Kelinginc.net, some of these other ones seem to have a lot going on.

Any help guys?

-Jason

• Input: 115 / 230v - 15 amps max. 50/60/400Hz
    • Output: 48.0v @ 15.6 amps, 5.1v @ 50 amps, 24.0v @ 10 amps / 2000 watts total
    • Voltage adjustment: ±10% minimum
    • Line & load regulation: 0.2% + 5mV max
    • Ripple: RMS 0.1% or 10mV
    • Ripple: Pk-Pk 1% or 50mV
    • Dynamic response: 25% load step, 2% or 100 mV (any output)
    • Recovery time: To within 1% in 300µ sec
    • Overvoltage protection: 2 to 5v 122% to 134% of output voltage; 12 to 48v 110% to 120%; recycle AC
    • Overload protection: 105% to 120% of rated current. Auxiliaries 105% - 140%
    • Short circuit protection: Protected for continuous short circuit, recovery automatic
    • Reverse voltage protection: 100% or rated output current
    • Thermal protection: Each module thermally protected. Input module: Auto recovery. Output modules: Recycle AC
    • Dimensions: 5" x 11-3/4" x 5"H

69.00 but as you can see, it's a pretty big PS. So a bigger cabinet would be needed!

-Jason

Is this the cabinet you are looking at.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

It looks to be a nice one for the money.

I would wait untill I had all the components on hand and then mock up a box from cardboard to make sure it will all fit. You will need room to be able to wire it up and additional space for air flow. I did my first control cabinet and I had it all jammed inside and then I realized I forgot to install the breakout board because I didn't have it on hand when I was doing the assembly and layout. I had to take everything out and start all over with a new cabinet.

"I want to mount it on the way by my mill. Will contain 540, Power Supply, wiring, E-Stop and relays." I asume you meant to say mount it OUT of the way by my mill?

If you can find one, a fire alarm control cabinet from someone that is upgrading would work real well. The one my friend found had a nice lexan window over about 50% of the front door and would really show off your handy work. The cabinet on my taig is similar but larger and you can readily see the power leds and the fan running.

Gecko 540 running 4 steppers of 3.5amps =14 x .65 = 9.1 amps. If I remember the formula correctly. Call it ten amps to be safe. See if you can find a ten amp ps to save a few more dollars.

The G540 and most other systems will work just fine on an unregulated ps. you could even roll your own with a transformer,a couple of caps and a bridge rectifer. Might take a little more work but you might save a few bucks.

If I remember tommorow I will look around the shop and see if I have a spare enclosure and power supply floating around. I have scavenged so much stuff this last year that I don't remeber what size cabinets that I have around the shop any more.

As my 2 boys would say if they are floating around it is time to do a gravity check

LOL

I made my first couple of enclosures. Lot of work involved. The first one actually had the computer and everything inside. It works well, but now only houses a PS and Gecko's and Bob. Computer is still in there, but not using it. It's got issues.
    The second doesn't contain anything but the Bob, Gecko's and fuses and such.

The third and fourth were some tool boxes that were scratch and dent. Just regular tool boxes with a lift out tray made of sheet metal. Much less work and easier to use. Plenty of room as well. I think I gave $5 each for these.

Lots of options for these things. Don't forget room for relays, motor speed controllers and things if you plan on using those. Provided you have the space, bigger is always better when it comes to control cabinets I think.

HF has some aluminum tool boxes and brief case type tool boxes that look suitable too if you have one of them close. A coupon and a trip there would likely get you something for under $20.
    Lee

have you thought of maybe an old electrical breaker box? I have a g540 coming as well, and that is what I play to house my stuff in. if you find a good PSU let me know, I have a 24v to get me up and running, but I will be looking for a larger one really soon!

Well I'm going for Sushi tonight and will stop by the HF store which is literally next door.

I'll see what they have.

Thanks guys!

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    Is this the cabinet you are looking at.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

It looks to be a nice one for the money.

I would wait untill I had all the components on hand and then mock up a box from cardboard to make sure it will all fit. You will need room to be able to wire it up and additional space for air flow. I did my first control cabinet and I had it all jammed inside and then I realized I forgot to install the breakout board because I didn't have it on hand when I was doing the assembly and layout. I had to take everything out and start all over with a new cabinet.

"I want to mount it on the way by my mill. Will contain 540, Power Supply, wiring, E-Stop and relays." I asume you meant to say mount it OUT of the way by my mill?

If you can find one, a fire alarm control cabinet from someone that is upgrading would work real well. The one my friend found had a nice lexan window over about 50% of the front door and would really show off your handy work. The cabinet on my taig is similar but larger and you can readily see the power leds and the fan running.

Gecko 540 running 4 steppers of 3.5amps =14 x .65 = 9.1 amps. If I remember the formula correctly. Call it ten amps to be safe. See if you can find a ten amp ps to save a few more dollars.

The G540 and most other systems will work just fine on an unregulated ps. you could even roll your own with a transformer,a couple of caps and a bridge rectifer. Might take a little more work but you might save a few bucks.

If I remember tommorow I will look around the shop and see if I have a spare enclosure and power supply floating around. I have scavenged so much stuff this last year that I don't remeber what size cabinets that I have around the shop any more.

As my 2 boys would say if they are floating around it is time to do a gravity check

LOL
    I looked and I realized that I don't have a spare power supply. I have a whole bunch of enclosures but they are all larger than you are looking for. If you want send me a PM and we can discuss what you need and what I have.
    Mike

Pm'd you!

-Jason

I guarantee you one thing, what ever size enclosure you pick, it's never going to be big enough
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I guarantee you one thing, what ever size enclosure you pick, it's never going to be big enough
    Al.
    Al,
    Truer words have never been spoken.:cheers:

Speeds, PMed you back:wave:

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Al.
    Amen. I have a solution to it, but it might make some of you cringe at the cost - standard pro rack mount cases. Just add another one when you need it.
    Bud industries makes plastic knock-down rack enclosures in at least 1u, 2u and 3u sizes, and they are pretty cheap, at least as rack gear goes. That or go scrounge them from old computer or phone switch gear from the metal recyclers. Probably find a good short rack that way too.
    I use a portable 8u rack originally meant for dj/sound equipment, and I haven't run out of space on it - yet anyway.

TotallyRC- I will Pm you, but I think I have found a solution for the cabinet.

I, being an engineer in the ME field (or engineer in training ) always find the use for good "JUNK". Just like my enclosure; taken from school, my electrical box will be taken from another cabinet at school. The drawers are metal and make a great box, I will be building a very nice and robust enclosure, FREE Too. You can't complain about free and quality, and thats what it will be.

Pictures tomorrow.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    TotallyRC- I will Pm you, but I think I have found a solution for the cabinet.

I, being an engineer in the ME field (or engineer in training ) always find the use for good "JUNK". Just like my enclosure; taken from school, my electrical box will be taken from another cabinet at school. The drawers are metal and make a great box, I will be building a very nice and robust enclosure, FREE Too. You can't complain about free and quality, and thats what it will be.

Pictures tomorrow.

-Jason
    I am a big advocate of recycling. It is good for the enviroment and all of that.
    Let me know if I can help out in any other way.
    Happy wiring.
    Mike

And when I meant to say "enclosure" the first time, I was referring to my Milling Machine enclosure. That was taken from school.

Pictures tomorrow, but the drawers I took are all metal and they need is a door, that simple. This is going to look very professional.

Also, the drawers I took the cabinet from....I'm picking it up next week to. I will bring it in the shop, lay a top on (make a table top) and both my drill presses will go on this "new bench", I actually bend down to use them. The drawers will also be awesome because I can store all my aluminum, it will really tidy up the place

-Jason

Hi Jason,

I just received my 500W 10.4A 48V PSU from ebay. The link is here. I think this is what you are looking for. Worked for my driver very well. Lots of torque and speed.

Alex

Looks very nice but I was able to finally order from Keling. 48 Volts, 7.3 amps. I'm under amperage a little bit (which stinks) but hey, it's all I could do at the moment.

-Jason

I don't think you will notice any difference even with a bigger supply. That is unless you do lots of 3D stuff where all three axes are moving at the same time often.
    For normal type work I have seen you do, this will act like a full powered setup.
    Lee

Well, LeeWay- You and everyone on CNCzone will be amazed at what is coming, amazed....

-Jason

From what I understand the 7.3A should be more than enough for what you need. The motors won't draw the full amperage all at once anyway.

Looking forward to see what you have setup. Pictures please.

Alex

I cannot be amazed without pictures. Though I am easily amused.
    Bring it on.
    Lee

Page 1 of 2 12