586,061 active members*
4,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad v22 in production environment?

Bobcad v22 in production environment?

Is anyone here successfully using v22 in a production environment (with Windows 2000)? If so, what are you doing for it not to crash and for it to generate successful code? My purpose is occassional prototypes and it's not mission-critical for my environment, but it was a nice thought to be able to do my own prototypes and test my tweaks before sending it off to our production folks.

But, it either keeps crashing (so I'm saving after every couple moves) or is generating incorrect code, such that I can't trust it anymore. So far, in the last 4 parts I created, I should've been able to generate the code with Bobcad and run it on the machine, but because of some problem with Bobcad, I've ended up writing the g-code manually.

During the onslaught of sales calls, one of the sales reps (Keith) said they wouldn't let me try the full version (with CAM) before purchasing because they were sued (and lost) by someone whose machined crashed, and I can believe that now.

I was actually surprised when I mentioned it to our production folks and they said that they have Bobcad v22, so I thought I could now exchange files with them, but they too said they can't use it for anything production because it's buggy, so they use the other SW (SolidWorks IIRC).

Anyone here doing this successfully and care to offer any advice on how I can get some value out of this software? I've invested enough time into learning Bobcad, so I want this to work rather than pursuing a refund and starting over, but I need to be able to get it to work properly.

Thanks,
    -Neil.

Neil,

PM me your phone number. I can help get you on the right track.

Regards

We don't have a sales person that goes by the name of Keith. However, we can help you. PM the One or call our toll free number and ask for support. Or you can PM myself. One way or another I am certain we can help sort things out for you.
    CNC Dude

Oops -- his name was actually Kenny (x169 from my records).

I take it both of you work for Bobcad? I have already called Bobcad about this and was very rudely told that crashing is expected behaviour. Not sure where else I can go from there, but I no longer have support with Bobcad (and I really can't be expected to pay for that type of support).

The One, I am unavailable during the day nowadays -- can you tell me here what you have in mind?

Thanks,
    -Neil.

Basically, I want to see where the problem exists and how I can help you solve it.

Yes, I do work for BobCAD and have for several years. I have worked with all versions from 16 up, so I have a bit of knowledge in figuring out where and why things go awry.

What time zone are you in and when are you available?

Regards

BTW: Crashing is never an expected behaviour. Do you remeber who you spoke with about this?

I seem to be having the same type problem. It's just habit to hit the save button after each step because I get an "unavalible resource" or "Bobcad has an error and must shut down" occationally. I can tell when its about to happen most of the time because the graphics get really slow.
    I also have noticed that if I try to open a Bobcad file, say from my desk top, and bobcad isnt already open, Bobcad will not open until I reboot.
    In fairness to the tech support guys they have asked me to email the files I had problems with, and I didn't.
    I'm finally up and running and I'm impressed with what Bobcad can do, when it wants to.
    Matt