586,396 active members*
2,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High Helix Endmills

I have an Iscar High helix 1/2" solid carbide endmill which makes the best surface finish I have ever seen in aluminum.

What is another product like this that I can buy from MSC online much easier than buying from Iscar and how small can I get this helix geometry? Is it available in ball mill?

Thanks

Can you plunge with those?
    I was getting High helix, and the Aluminum will stick to the tip, then later spit it out. I only have 6K spindle RPM, ended up going back to Standard Helix Carbide, and works just fine.
    Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by smittys800 View Post
    Can you plunge with those?
    I was getting High helix, and the Aluminum will stick to the tip, then later spit it out. I only have 6K spindle RPM, ended up going back to Standard Helix Carbide, and works just fine.
    Smitty
    Try helixing into the pocket or at least ramping. Those don't seem to like a direct plunge.

Get your hands on a Garr tool catalog. They have a great selection of these kinds of cutters and there prices are great. The high helix carbide three flute cutters really rip through alum. and they work great on plastic also. Goodluck
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

Last place I worked, we used a lot of SGS Alu-power high helix 3-flt carbide e-mills. They were great. You could rough and finish with them. They never chattered, and you could slam them into corners without the chatter. They went all the way down to 1/8" diameter. Used them in delrin also. Their only problem was the tip of the end mill did not give a good floor finish without stoning the tip. I think they are available from MSC.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ctoolfool View Post
    I have an Iscar High helix 1/2" solid carbide endmill which makes the best surface finish I have ever seen in aluminum.

What is another product like this that I can buy from MSC online much easier than buying from Iscar and how small can I get this helix geometry? Is it available in ball mill?

Thanks
    Here's a link to aluminum cutting endmills on mscdirect. I have had good results from the OSG Blizzard 3 flutes. I used to buy Dataflute brand, but MSC doesn't sell them anymore.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVS...00000051760571

A friend of mine recommended Hanita endmills for aluminum finishing.

As long as you've had good results with the Iscar cutters, do you mind sharing the model or product line with us? I might not mind dealing with ordering direct if I can get a superior finish. After all: that's what they're in business for.
    Greg

I used Hanita Varimills for a while. But a four flute, half inch is darned near 50 bux. I found Carbide connection where I was getting the same thing (they make them) for $32 in qualtities of 25. Just bought 25 half inch four flute variable helix .03 rad (for steel) with a weldon flat for $32 in qualtity from Lakeshore. These are all AlTin coated. I need the flats because I run them hard enough that I can suck one out of an ER32 collet.
    I have a bunch of Hertel half inch three flutes that just rock on aluminum.
    I don't particularly like the high helix cutters. I can rough with a Hertel half inch 3/8 deep and .25 radial 10k and 250 to 280 ipm in 7075. I almost never helix into alum anymore. I just dive it in. I've been experimenting with some single flute indexable endmills for roughing. You can really turn them up because of the huge ability to evacuate a chip.

Since everybody has a different idea what works well for them, I'll add my $0.02 too.

For roughing and finishing aluminum, I have found that Helical Solutions offers some nice stuff. I haven't had any problems with chatter, and they finish great! They offer mills with and without corner radii and will put custom sized radii on them for a few bucks more.

They located in Maine. You may want to call them for list of distributors. (866) 543-5422

As for getting something from MSC, I have found that I will not use them unless it is for something generic, (in other words), if the job doesn't warrant the more costly higher performance mills/drills/etc.

Just one question... If you are happy with the Iscar cutter, why would you want to change? I get my Iscar stuff easily through Iwen Tool Supply. And if I need it overnight, they only charge $12 for Red UPS. That's almost as much as MSC charges for their "next day saver".

Anyway, I guess that was more than my 2 cents. Good luck finding what you are looking for!

Gizmo

For pure speed in aluminum, i use sgs skicarb. 1/2 endmill, 1/2 deep at 200 inches a minute. But i also like those nice machine marks from going fast. You can slow it down and get a nice finish. BTW...a ridgid setup is a must when milling like this. <heh>