586,546 active members*
3,335 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kondia/Dynapath 10M Travel Limits Problem

I can't seem to get Z to REFERENCE ZERO. X and Y Zero after hitting their software driven travel limits (which are set in the setup menu).

The Z axis runs right past the travel limits both ways and hits the e-stop limit. Can't do anything with the machine until Zero is referenced.

There's a MACHINE ZERO feature but it's "locked out by parameter" (which the manual says is because of limit switches being installed on the machine)

I've tried changing the travel limit settings forward, backward, and upside down, and nothing makes Z stop until it hits the e-stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has me extremely frustrated.

Is this a recent development, or did you just purchase the machine?
    We had a limit switch come loose once, and in order to get it to home properly, the cams that activate the switch had to be properly adjusted. Here's what I understand about the process:
    The table homes until it hits the "soft limit", which tells the axis to slow down, as soon as it hits the second limit (low speed) it's homed. Sounds to me like your limit switch isn't correctly wired, or the mechanical adjustment is off.
    Have you verified that the switch is functioning? (electrically)
    Open the switch, and try to jumper the wires together (if there are 2), to see if it's the switch. Conversely, make the connection during the home procedure to see if it recognizes the limit signal.
    DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE STANDING CLEAR, AND MAKE THE JUMPER WIRES LONG ENEOUGH TO STAY CLEAR OF THE AXIS.

If you are not comfortable, call for someone to service the unit for you.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

This is a recently purchased machine.

I'll look into it, but I didn't see the Z-Axis limit switch readily available. I'm assuming it's inside the quill because it's not visible around the outside.

The X and Y reference zero when they hit the "soft limit", which I assumed was software based because you can manually set the Travel Limits in the setup.

The Z doesn't hit the "soft limit" and instead runs to it's absolute limit before faulting out.

Thanks for the info, and I'll try to see if I can do anymore with it via your advice.

Hi:I doubt it's in the quill. Limit switches are usually accessible (for adjustment), but hidden to stay dry and chip free.
    It's not seeing the limit switch (either electrical or mechanical). Find the location of the switch, and you will most likely see the problem. If the Z is on the quill, then look into the housing that the drive for that axis is enclosed, the limit switch will most likely be located adjacent to the ballscrew. Another way to go is to have a look in the electrical enclosure, and find the switch inputs on the backplane. If you have a wiring diagram this will help alot to find the location.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Not stopping to home

Hello

First I would check the limit switches. The switches are behind the front cover plate on the quill. There should be at least 3 (upper, lower overtravel and home). I had a problem similar to you, but I found a wire broken off of the connector to the servo motor(I think it was the encoder feedback wire). I have been told that older systems will not alarm out when they loose feedback just keep going until they hit a hard limit.

I'm gonna give that a shot. I really appreciate the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Cycle Start View Post
    Hello

First I would check the limit switches. The switches are behind the front cover plate on the quill. There should be at least 3 (upper, lower overtravel and home). I had a problem similar to you, but I found a wire broken off of the connector to the servo motor(I think it was the encoder feedback wire). I have been told that older systems will not alarm out when they loose feedback just keep going until they hit a hard limit.
    I removed the plate in front of the ballscrew for the Z Axis...

There are 2 limit switches, only one is wired (appears to be the upper travel). Jumping the wires together does nothing, neither does manually activating the limit switch.

I can see that the machine faults out when it reaches the end of it's travel ability. There don't appear to be any wires broken between the servo and the control board. I'm starting to think it's a circuit board problem on the Z Axis or Control board, or perhaps some sort of software issue.

Does anyone have any other possible advice before I have to body slam it with a forklift?

Thanks in advance!

Don't do it !!!!!
    It's a machine, as humans we are superior.
    I agrre that it sound like a deeper problem.....

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Talking Quill limit switchs

I used to run a Hurco KM3 which is a knee mill built using Kondia Iron.

I can go over and shoot some pics of the limit switches for reference.

BTW I was able to turn the ballscrews by hand to find the true hard limits of travel - then adjust the limit switches and machine parameters to extend the axis travels while still having some safety margin.

When I ask the Hurco service tech why they limited the machine with the reduced travel he said it was because the travel limits matched the published spec for the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    I used to run a Hurco KM3 which is a knee mill built using Kondia Iron.

I can go over and shoot some pics of the limit switches for reference.

BTW I was able to turn the ballscrews by hand to find the true hard limits of travel - then adjust the limit switches and machine parameters to extend the axis travels while still having some safety margin.

When I ask the Hurco service tech why they limited the machine with the reduced travel he said it was because the travel limits matched the published spec for the machine.

I wish the limit switches did anything! There's two in there for Z, only one is wired (only one set of wires coming into the area). I can manually trigger the limit switch, but it does nothing at all. I'm starting to feel as if someone pulled a fast one on us when we got this "great condition" CNC mill. We purchased a CNC lathe at the same time, and had to adjust the limit switches, but this damn thing doesn't even recognize the limit switch.

I wouldn't have a problem adjusting the switched limits because they're pretty much a no-brainer. The Dynapath control has software limits that you adjust in the parameters, which work fine for X and Y, but Z doesn't even notice them!

I am having the same trouble w/ my Tree 330 w/ Dynapath 10. I also have tried all the things you guys have suggested. This is a recent purchase and there has to be some sort of trick that I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

I'm not familiar with the Dynapath 10 control but I had a old anilam control that the z-axis limit switches were bad. If you had the z-axis next to the mechanical upper limit when you homed the machine it would only rock the z axis back and forth and set that position as home. At that time all of the soft limits would set and the machine would be referenced. May be the trick your looking for.