586,075 active members*
4,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Tool Offsetting on a Bridgrport Interact 316 Fanuc O-Mate

Tool Offsetting on a Bridgrport Interact 316 Fanuc O-Mate

Hi guys,
    This is a bit basic for you. I'm used to lathes and setting the tool offsets. This Bridgeport is very new to me and I really haven't a clue about setting the tool offsets. I would have thought that for each tool, there would be an X , Y and Z offset but in the offset menu there's just one set of digits. Then there's the Workpiece Coordinates. If someone could give me a real basic step by step guide to setting up offsets for 2 or 3 tools that would be super.
    Thanks. Mark B.

Here are the basics to set work co-ordinates and offsets. First you have to home X Y and Z with the zero return. Some will zero out the display automatically, some you have to origin. Move to where you want to set XY zero and get to the offset page and then to the work co-ordinate page. Use G54 and put them numbers in. Some have an input button to do it. To set tools there are a couple of ways to do it, by gage line method with an offsetter or the easiest is just from Z home position. To do that bring tool down and touch off wherever you want to set your Z zero on part. Take that number and put that in your tool offset page. With that method make sure you have Z set to zero in the G54. All the numbers you set in G54 and tool offsets should be negatives. Them are the basics, I might of missed a few steps without the control in front of me and Fanucs vary slightly but try that to start. Make sure you call up G54 in your program to use that work co-ordinate.

Kevin

The tool offset page does both the tool offsets and diameter. The first half are the offsets, the second half are used as diameters for cutter comp. Called up with a G function and a H for the offset slot.
    If you have a second vice you can use G55 for the work coordinate system, up to a G59.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)