586,103 active members*
3,547 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > how to stop spindle in emergency

how to stop spindle in emergency

I have a Milltronics lathe with the centurion V control. When I am running it in cycle and I need to stop, I can stop the movement of the slides by hitting feedhold or halt, but how do I stop the spindle without going into MDI and entering an M5 command?

Also, what about when I hit E stop, how do I get out of e stop without rebooting the control?

Thanks,

Joe

Turn spindle override to zero.
    Thats what i do on my ml17

milltronics lathe

Lyn,

OK thanks. I thought of that after I posted but I haven't tried it yet. I am glad to hear that will work.

What about getting out of e stop. Last night I was cutting a radius and found out I didn't have enough tool clearance at one point and just then the insert broke. I didn't want to wipe out the insert pocket so I hit e stop. I couldn't figure out how to bring the machine out of e stop without rebooting. When I rebooted and the power came back on to the slides it moved in on the "x" axis and pushed the toolholder into the workpiece. If I had used feedhold or halt I could have regained control over the axis with the handwheel or MDI but since I e stopped I couldn't move the "x" away from the workpiece prior to powering the control back up. I didn't like that. Any ideas?

Joe

AFTER E-STOP, JUST PRESS THE GREEN RESET BUTTON AND JOG OR HANDWHEEL THE AXIS TO A SAFE PLACE.

milltronics lathe

Lyn,

hmmm .... I think I have tried that and it is just dead. Even if I hit reset it doesn't come back on unless I power down then power it back up. Let me try it again after I grab a bite to eat.

Thanks

Joe

Do you have a feedhold button? Rather than E-stopping for a minor emergency, feedhold, then stop the spindle, then hit the reset button to kill the program execution, then jog away. This is my general method for running any cnc machine. Reserve E-stop for the real oh sh!t emergencies
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Lyn,

When I went back to work after lunch the first thing I did is tried what you said and it worked fine. I swear I tried that and it didn't work before - but it definitely works now. I tried it two or three times just to make sure and every time I was able to reset the drives and then hit esc a couple of times to dump me back into the main menu so that I could jog or handwheel out of the mess. Thanks for your help.

Hu,

Yeah I know "Rather than E-stopping for a minor emergency, feedhold, then stop the spindle, then hit the reset button to kill the program execution, then jog away." I should have known better but I am new to this machine and I acted hastily (read "panicked"). Anyway, I think I've got it now. Thanks.

Joe

To stop the spindle at any time when it is rotating the red stop button on the Milltronics control can be pressed to stop the spindle. This is a much better means to stop the spindle rather than using the override for safety concerns. If a machine will not come out of emergency stop condition, try pressing and holding the green reset button on the front of the control. If the emergency stop message goes away, then there may be a problem with the overtravel switches on the machine.