586,036 active members*
4,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How to set up process for 3D Part

How to set up process for 3D Part

O.k. I am a newbie and learning BC.
    I have the attached part but can not figure out the best way to set this up in BC to machine
    I have a 4th axis on my Haas.

BC Version 26
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: How to set up process for 3D Part

No 3D needed for your part, all very simple 2D machining.

First if you have Lathe access then turn and bore the part on the Lathe, all you will have left to do are the slots, these will be easiest done on your 4th axis using simple indexing and straight line 2D cutting.

If you don`t have Lathe access or can`t get someone to turn/bore the shape for you then you can easily put your 3.5 inch bar stock (Assuming that`s what you would use) in a lathe chuck on the mill bed and do either an open pocket and/or profile cut to rough and finish the large diameter and drill/helical/pocket the bore out, turn over to do the other end drill the 0.625 hole and machine it to the smaller diameter again using either open pocket and/or profile cuts.
    Againg you would do the 4th axis setup and index to each position for the slots, all very simple. You can do it the other way round if you like, do the small diameter and 0.625 hole first. whatever is easiest for you

If you don`t have a lathe chuck to use then you will need to make some soft jaws for a vise to suit your stock size as that will be close enough for the large end as well.

Always remember the old nemonic : KISS

Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

Don`t go looking for complicated solutions unless there is absolutely no simple solution

If you want me to have a go at doing program for you then let me know and I`ll see what I can rustle up although it is much better if you can learn to do it yourself

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro: