586,112 active members*
3,170 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Part height

Part height

Hello,
    I'm looking to find a CO2 unit to mark text on anodized aluminum. I'm trying to understand how much z(if that is the right term in lasertalk) is needed. The smallest desk units indicate they have 3", my parts are up to 2.5". Is that enough room for the laser to do its job or do I need to look for something larger.
    Thanks, Shepard

You will need to check on height available from the lense. I have a 1 1/2" and a 2" lense on my Universal Laser. That means the part must be 1 1/2" or 2" from the bottom of the lense. If I remember correctly, the 1 1/2 gives a .003 line, the 2 gives a .005 line. I would have to check to see how my machine is rated for capacity, from the beam or from the lense.

That's what I was afraid. Anyone know if there is anything beneath the marking area on the desktop import CO2s that would prevent me from cutting out the bottom, putting the laser on stands and allowing a taller part? I just want to put letters and numbers on black anodized Al, no fancy stuff.
    Thanks again

That dimension should be listed in the specs for any machine you are considering. My Epilog will hold items 8" tall. Look for the Z-Stroke, or on many Chinese machines "Up and Down work Plate". The Redsail M500, for example, is 8".

I've seen the specs but didn't know enough about lasers to know if a certain amount of standoff from the part would be needed. I'd like to be able to use one of the 40w small(cheaper) desktop models to see if laser will even do what I want. I just don't know if the bottom can be cut out.

Depending on the lens focal length you need as much as 2" more than the height of the part to fit it into the maximum space with the laser floor dropped all the way down. If the z stroke is 8", and you have a 2" lens, then the maximum part height is 6".

If those small units have just 3" depth and a 2" lens then the maximum part height is 1".