586,114 active members*
3,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry Centroid DXF Problem

I just ruined another expensive piece of brass!!!
    I've got an Accu Path II (Birmingham) with Centroid M400 and I have a lot of problems when I import .dxf files and use cutter comp.
    First of all, about 80% of the time the software ignores cutter comp for the first move. After that it seems okay. I say 80% because it's not consistent.
    Second, often either the beginning or end of a contour will have a "curl" which if it heads in the wrong direction I either ruin a part or snap an end mill....or both! What's frustrating is that I've loaded some complicated profiles and the program works beautifully and on some very simple ones it just seems confused.
    This afternoon after playing with various moves to correct these anomolies (on a very simple profile!) I finally got it to graph okay. I analyzed it in both 2D and 3D and it was clean. Posted the program and ran it. Looked good. Changed the end mill diameter in the program to correct for an undersized end mill and didn't double check by graphing. And why would I? You got it....crash! Just changing the end mill diameter and it added a curl at the end of the final move. Don't know if it's me or Centroid but it sure doesn't make sense....plus I'm wasting time and material!! I'll be happy to send .dxf, .icn and .cnc files to anyone out there that wants to take a look. And if you can solve the problem I'll buy you lunch next time you're in Denver!!!

Thumbs up AN UPDATE

Okay, so nobody wants a free lunch!
    Actually I did get one response...an offer from an individual to take a look at the files, no promises.

But here's the latest scoop. My personal opinion...Centroid control is a loser.

I finally got a visit from the "local" service rep...I say local but he's located over 100 miles from Denver. Anyway, he spent an hour and a half trying to figure out what was going on and finally gave up. He even called Centroid for answers and they basically stonewalled him.

Here's the scoop. If you use Cutter Comp with a DXF import program it may or may not work! You got that right. This is a problem I've had since I bought the machine three years ago. Sometimes it works and....usually not!
    What amazes me is that apparently numerous people have experienced the same problem and....get this....for at least 3 years Centroid has not fixed it!!

So much for their "customer comes first" policy.

Basically there's some kind of internal conflict when you use Cutter Comp with an imported DXF file. And anybody who imports DXF files expects to have some kind of cutter compensation in order for the machine to determine the correct path. No cutter comp = scrap. What was really weird was that when we looked at a file with three consecutive pockets, we would play with the program and get the first pocket tool path correct but when we corrected the second pocket it screwed up the first and third pockets. If you turned Cutter Comp off the tool path was perfectly on top of the DXF profile! Talk about lousy software!

Bottom line? The service rep looked at me and said "Have you considered using BobCad? I have another customer that uses it and now he gets perfect G-code."

Are you sh*****g me??!! After buying into the Centroid marketing BS and buying a machine with their software then pulling my hair out for three+ years it's suggested that I buy somebody else's software to correct their software? (I did call BobCad and know what they told me? We get a lot of calls from Centroid users!)

It's only because I respect this forum that I don't spew invectives all over your screen.

Centroid.....up yours! Sorry, couldn't help it!

I have suspected the same for quite some time. I bought a used machine with Centroid controls about a year ago and it just didn't do as well as I thought it should. I yanked the controls and converted to a CNC4PC C11G breakout board, three Gecko 203v drivers and re-used my motors and power supply. After just a little tweaking, well actually my learning curve, I have yet to catch any missed steps or program implementation issues. I spent less than $700 on the conversion not including my 22" monitor which was a Christmas present and I have been very pleased.

(chair) I thought about doing just that last year but didn't have the time to spend on that kind of project (maybe I was spending too much time trying to figure out the dxf/cutter comp issue!)
    Anyway, I called BobCad and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I'm going to give it a shot. The only thing I have to lose is some familiarization time.
    Yesterday I loaded a dxf file and guess what? Not a problem! Just for kicks I created another profile and loaded it. Yep, you guessed it....screwed. Go Figure.

which progran are your DXF files being created? just courius..

Hi rdoty sorry to steal the spotlight, but I have had similar problems. I too have a centroid controller, it is a centroid cnc4e controller and also have bobcad because of centroid. So far I have'nt been even able to use bobcad correctly because the z axis depth is totally off. The only thing I know about the program working is it moves the workpiece around and thats it. Centroid I called and they really weren't any help, I feel sorry for you because I imagine you spent nearly $900 to even get a service rep. to you place to even see the machin. I say that because that is what the quoted me for them to come out and help me with my machine. The reason I posted in your thread was because I was wondering if you have had the same problem I've been having and if you fixed it?