587,030 active members*
3,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Any Ideas on a Low-Cost Metal Base Table?

Any Ideas on a Low-Cost Metal Base Table?

I have noticed on the forums over the years. The base table pretty much is a dead peace or like mechmate states "The big non-moving part".

Seems like most bases are fairly similar with a little modification here and there to fit your XYZ axis. So, I figured I would create this thread to throw around ideas to keep the cost way down for the most dead peace of the project.

I assume welding it would be cheaper than bolting or epoxy. I welded back in high school (a long time ago) but I don't know how much steel is...or there is unistrut. Maybe, We could find cheap alternatives for the various methods.

So, if we could give ideas...plus, the costs (BOM). Maybe, we can come up with a nice solid cheap Metal base table that would work for everyone.

Whether you scale it up or down. The cost would still be cheap based on the total cost of the project. Myself, I am looking at 4x4 but it could work for any size...

So, any ideas?

how about this...any way to make a base table for under $200 ? Has anyone done this? What was the cost of just the base table for some you?

I was looking at this site:
    http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/pr...ench-shelf.php

Though they are really expensive. I was thinking of using a larger black gas pipe like this guy did:
    http://www.jbbritton.com/irondesk/index.html

and just using the basic connection pieces sold at HD/Lowes. Would it support the weight?

Square or rectangle steel tubing is going for about $.80/lb, slightly more or less depending on the size. My table is made of 4" x 2" x 14 ga, approximately 60"l x 60"w x 30"h. Without the material supports it weighs 100 pounds. So that's $80 for steel to build a rather stout table. Mine is fully welded, and I see no reason not to weld it unless you will need to take it apart for some reason, or you don't have access/don't know how to use a welder.

A cheap source of relatively straight steel is used pallet racks -- I've thought about making tables out of those for some time. Only problem is the uprights are usually 16' + tall, which makes them somewhat inconvenient. If you chopped the uprights to workbench size (keeping at least one diagonal brace) and then got some of the bolt-on C-channel beams, you'd have a pretty stout framework as well. It's a thought...

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

I bought new steel and inmo I paid too much.

After I got stuck into the project, I found a scrap metal merchant where the metal on offer was much cheaper and a lot heavier.

Welding is definitely the way to go.

You might find scrap with a useable frame. A while ago, I was driving to work and a hospital was chucking out a fully adjustable hospital bed. I could have salvaged a heap out of that but I know my missus would have thrown a fit.

I reckon the base frame should cost you buttons. Its a pity for my pocket that I didn't learn that earlier.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

I should add that the steel price I posted is new clean steel up to 22' lengths, any size or thickness you want. Flats are cheaper than tube, ~$.58 per pound for 1/4" x 2" (<$1 per foot).
    http://www.hooversteel.com/

I also buy from a surplus/salvage yard where all steel is currently $.40 per pound any size or shape, but you have to work with whatever they have and it might be a little rusty. They always have a couple standard sizes of tubing, angle, and sheet. The place I go to also has lots of used industrial machines to pick over. If you can find a place like this local to you, you'll feel like you've found a gold mine.

Great Ideas.

I did a search on the internet for local pallet racking and found some Uprights 17'H x 38.5"D (3"x1.5") for $50. Plus, beams 144"L x 4"H for $16. Uprights already have extra supports in place too. If you laid horizontally could work but would have to cut them down to size on site. Plus, no idea on the weight for my little pickup to carry..yikes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upright17ft01.jpg   Uprights16ft02.jpg   Beams8ftends.jpg