586,077 active members*
3,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

A journey into CNC router building

Hi All,:wave:

I have started my build on a router table. The table is 36.5" x 48.5" and loosely based on Solsylva plans and inspired by a forum member's build, Haydn. My CNCZone album is here, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/album.php?u=20907

Haydn's build really is beautiful and quite accomplished. I hope to be able to keep the same quality of craftsmanship and be able to contribute to the community here on CNCZone.

I am a home shop machinist by choice, which pays zero dollars and make my living by operating heavy equipment. At 50 years of age, I am getting closer to retirement and hope to offset my pension with the ability to work out of my garage.

In the future, I plan on building guitars and what ever else will generate income.

As far as the build, I need to design an anti-backlash unit for the 5/8" roton ballnuts. My cad drawing abilities are not fast, so most design is done with carbon lead and thin sheets of wood pulp. Any ideas for the anti-backlash are appreciated.

I will post more pics as the build progresses and of course will have questions
    that the answer is obvious to some, but would help me to understand a concept better.

Closing, anyone in the Calaveras County, CA region that's interested in coming over or to chat, send a PM.

Regards, Paul Austin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg   004.jpg   003.jpg  

Great start Paul, looks very impressive.

Keep the photo's coming.

Andy

if you ask me it seems you're off to a very "sturdy" start, i'll be following this build

Thanks Guys,

I think I had a light bulb moment for the anti backlash. Using some stiff springs I think this might work. My cad abilities are slow, so this was a quick drawing. I will use four bolts, everything made from stock metal and aluminum. Any improvements on the design are welcome. Also made a tap for the ball nut threads. see attached jpg file
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails antibacklash.jpg  
    -Paul