586,108 active members*
3,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MCX Tool library question

MCX Tool library question

What difference does it make to a library and/or a part program if one does NOT select a "Tool File name" when editing or saving a newly created tool in the MCX tool libraries?

In other words, on the Tool properties page, you can create, edit, and save a tool to your library simply by clicking "Save to library" without choosing a "Tool File Name" and it will work just fine. There is a question of the necessity of using the Tool File name feature....is it necessary? I ask because I cannot see any negative impact on our programs by not doing so, but it would seem that there is a reason why one would want to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

Almost 50 views and not so much as a nibble, huh?

Hmmm.

Rob.

Guess I came to the wrong place. :tired:

Bob,
    I going to give you what I think is happening and correct me if I'm wrong. If you create a tool that is defined as (Flat endmill) by predefined button. Mastercam should know what tool file name to assign to your new tool with out filing in he box. You should not have to manual assign a tool file name unless it is a custom tool in which case saving the custom tool geo. to a level works well. I do not worry about tool file name unless it is custom. back in earlier versions I remember backpolt had a hard time unless there was a tool file name.
    Hope this helps
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Negative impact come from not enough info put out for the operator. if you are the operator no big deal.
    But next time it comes around you need to have info and have dig it all out.

Also here is one of my setup sheets and all the info is there and I do not have to type all the info out. I can have it put more or less.
    I also have the tool list post at the top of my programs.

But the bottom line know you don't have to matters on the shop and are there others you have to work with and giving info helps.

Jm2c
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I thought Bob was refering to the tool file name(flatendmill.mcx) not the tool name. The tool file name is used to define the shape of the tool for backplot and verify you can define the shape by a file name or save the tool geometry to a different level for custom tools, I'm not sure the file name has any affect on the set-up sheet.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net

Thank you for the input, gentlemen. Steve is correct in what I meant. This question arose when one of the other guys in our shop was editing a tool library for one of our machines and noticed that the aforementioned box was empty on all the tools in that library not created by himself. He had gone to an MCX training course a while back (neither I nor the third guy had done so) and had been told how to create/edit tools the "proper" way; thus, the question arose from his training experience. The third guy and I had been creating and editing tools in our libraries as necessary and neither one of us had ever encountered any problems with our programs even though we had declined to enter the Tool File Name info that the first guy insisted was necessary. We have been debating this back and forth for a couple months now (amicably) and it is nice to have a firm resolution to the problem.

Thanks again guys.

Rob.

Steve you are right has no affect on the setup sheet. but not have the tool file would cause an issue. but if you are just opening an existing tool and changing the size this is handled by MC and will adjust using the existing tool file.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

The ony issue from past experiences is backplot and verify, I have not had this issue I do edit exsisting tools most every time I do change or make a new tool. Jay what other issues have you seen by not using a toolfile name?
    www.cad2cam.net