586,116 active members*
3,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Got a 60hz chiller instead 50hz need help

Hi Guys,

I was installing a machine and realised that the chiller for the laser is 60hz instaed of 50hz as I'm not in US all around the world other then US its 50hz so the chiller wont start up.

Someone recommended a transformer to make the voltage lower which in turn would compensate for the 60hz cycles din't make any sense to me so thought would ask you guys out here what could be done to avoid getting it screwed up completely.

As long as I know any electrical item 60hz is made to run on 50hz the compressor and pump are going to konk off in a few days of running so I don't really know if this tranformer to change the voltage is going to be any help.

Its a 400v/3ph/60hz chiller

what I require is 400v/3ph/50hz.

Any kind of help on this would be appereciated.

A VFD which manipulates the output waveform (changes the line frequency to make a three phase motor variable speed) may work for you.
    Something like this should do the trick.
    http://web4.automationdirect.com/adc..._VAC)/GS2-20P5

NEATman

Without knowing the specifics of the equipment, it could be a number of things.
    when you say "Wont start up" are you meaning the whole unit is dead or the comp wont kick in?
    a lot of 60hz equipment will run on 50hz albeit with a higher current draw.
    Might be worth checking if there is some power monitoring control ie Frequency relay or phase sequence relay that could be in fault mode.
    could be as easy as tweaking the freq relay or swapping any two of the phases if the PSR is in fault.

also try popping over to one of the HVAC forums with some equipment specifics and someone over there may be able to help.