586,104 active members*
3,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Guitar Building Software

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place i apologize. So my Dad just recently bought a CNC machine for cabinet making and said I could use it for guitar making as well. The router is a Patriot from Freedom Machine tools. I am looking for a 3D CAD software to build guitars with. I want it to be as cheap and easy as possible. I would say not over $1000 but if it goes over i guess it'll just take longer to get. I was looking at Aspire which seemed nice but it's a little out of my price range XD

Any help is appreciated. Oh and if you know of a CAM software to go with it, that would be great!

Thanks!

btw: (I know this has nothing to do with the thread but. . .) When i go into "General CAD Discussion" the page goes blank and a pop up comes up that says DST Updated then brings me back and a few seconds later, it does it again. How can i stop this?

Thanks again!

to making your own models for guitars you can use from free to very costly programs
    i using silo3d, and its already capapble to model everything related to instruments..
    Silo 2 on Steam

the cheapest program to cut these ac express.. for 150.. it will cut exactly you need area you can localize toolpaths,,,

it also makes drillingtoolpath, automated inlay, vcarving.. all type of profiling with ramping and tab..
    practically everything need for woodwork..
    no nasting.. but you can array 40-50 objects on a sheet quickly..

i just trying to help someone with foamwork..

part is 12 feet size so i cutted up for machineable smaller parts.. you can mill from one or two side..
    i made it in an outside program because part need to be sliced properly..

as you can see it was sliced from several direction.. i used netfab as thats a free program and capable cut directly stl files..

locating toolpaths very important, becaus in this case it saves about one day or more machining time.. (20-36 hour)

Have you made any guitars from this program? Do you mind posting some models that you made? If you have any other recommendations, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Does anyone have any guitar models from these softwares? anymore software ideas will be helpful. Thanks!

i have some guitartop..
    made of a pdf file
    of isolines.. like map elevation lines

well i understand your question...
    post over here a blueprint or send email and i make it you
    with detailed description of each step..
    body, neck...

i have also some pegbox for violins.. i used a guarneri gesu.. for dimensions..
    theres no ""guitar software""
    pending of your wallet ranging from free up to 10K or more

it is cnc.. geometry and math

all other recommendation start with 3000....
    yet, without buying models you cant cut one single guitar..

what i offer you start with 200 expenses.. and first work i can help you...

i tried in aspire.. it just dont work..
    Vectric Forum ? View topic - Has anyone designed & machined a guitar COMPLETELY in Aspire

the issue is, after you make a model, you cant adjust surface.. you can add a little, take off a little or smooth a little, but theres no surface you could adjust
    so after you spend your 2 grand still you need a modeling program.. models will be always rounded..

alex, a guitarmaker (i say artist) made his own designs, used rhino..
    he has ready plans also..

AMBIENTCNC ::::::

also heres the prgbox.. its not finished.. however it shows this program can make it you..
    downlload silo3d trial and you can try it

after you load into silo, press "C" twice.. or more pending on how much smooth you want..

halfway zip is the actual silo file.. please note its only 80kb after extract, but it is a modeling program file..
    after load and press 2-3 times c, it becomes smooth and you can export as obj 3ds dxf or stl and that you can import into a program..

i look again for the guitartop a 59 lp but i had a few harddrive crash saved out as much i could..

picture and file
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pegbox.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cassidyguitars View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place i apologize. So my Dad just recently bought a CNC machine for cabinet making and said I could use it for guitar making as well. The router is a Patriot from Freedom Machine tools. I am looking for a 3D CAD software to build guitars with. I want it to be as cheap and easy as possible. I would say not over $1000 but if it goes over i guess it'll just take longer to get. I was looking at Aspire which seemed nice but it's a little out of my price range XD

Any help is appreciated. Oh and if you know of a CAM software to go with it, that would be great!

Thanks!

btw: (I know this has nothing to do with the thread but. . .) When i go into "General CAD Discussion" the page goes blank and a pop up comes up that says DST Updated then brings me back and a few seconds later, it does it again. How can i stop this?

Thanks again!

Clear your cache .

I've seen a lot of people who use Rhino and madCAM talking about making guitars. They seem to be very successful with it.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Dan you mean like this one? 100% Rhino and Madcam. This was my first attempt as well.

Mike

No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I'm Leaning Aspire and it is Working Fine for Guitar profiles and necks.

Hey Guys;
    I have the newest version of Aspire and use it for my guitar modeling. I'm just learning how to use the 2 rail sweep and blending but it can be done without much difficulty. I did purchase Alex's videos (guitarmaker????) and they did help a little. He doesn't speak English very well and the videos are pretty bad as far as explaining what is going on. However, that said, again, they do help a bit and he does say that you should be familiar with all the Aspire tools. I'll attempt to attach a few pix of my latest (2nd attempt) at guitar building. Mu 1st was a kit so it really doesn't count).
    Good luck. Oh yeah, building and setting up the necks is the real challenge. Next on the machine, stratocaster type body with custom neck.
    Bill

Hey turmite;
    Didn't you make some customer gun stocks???
    B
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

That would be me!
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.