586,108 active members*
2,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Swedish router, first try...

Hi!

This all started out about two years ago when my father bought a small benchtop mill. Well, it was fun using it but it was a bit low tech. It started to look on the web for used cnc machines, found out that they were a bit over my budget , then I tripp over this site: http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/29/h...achine-part-1/

started to really seach the net, came in here and then I was on my way on the quest for my very own cnc machine. Maby this build blog can help me move on and give me some nice ideas from all of you cnc people out there. So, here we go!

My first though, since I then lived in an apartment was that i had to fit under my desk, about 600x1000x600 mm, eaven the wife was ok with it!

As you may guess from the title of this thear I worked for a company that constantly throws away really nice industrial stuff from there R&D. I was aiming for alu profiles since i knew they came up in the bin from time to time. After collecting a lot of stuff my design after alot of tweaking looked like this:

The most work has been done on the Z-axis. I got my hand on some really nice rollerscrews, and then got a frind in the workshop to make me a housing, for two angular contact bearings.

At this time I heard that they were scrapping real big machine, and there were linear bearings that I just couldnt resist. problem was that they were a bit long for my z-axis. I desided to keep the length in case I would like to rebuild it later on. I used the length of the rails to prevent deflection. The design looks like this:

I will use a belt (AT5) to drive the Z axis, 2:1 to get same pitch on all axis.

The designed changed abit when I got over an old test rig cabinet amde of alu profiles. The plan is to build the whole machine that cabinet to get some sound proofing and prevent dust from going everywhere, its also good for the WA-factor . This is how it looks with the x and z in it:

Im going to use a linear unit with ballscrew from Bosch-Rexroth that I found in the container. Got some brackets for it and monted belt on that to to keep the design as compact as possible so it would fit within the cabinet.

Steppers are 3,2 Nm and dirvers are Gecko 203V´s. Have done a quick test run after the Power Supply was done, and it felt powerful enough.

This is a picture of the z-axis mounted.

I only have 170 mm stroke so it was hard not to go over the limit of the rooler screw. I will need some limit switches here.

Inside of Electrical cabinet, its alot of room there, and it really is too big, but its a good start, and its got a 19 inch touch screen in it. There will also be a small "industrial PC" in it that worked as a soft PLC running Xp embedded. Problem is that it wount accept my PCI based LPT port. I will probably go with the smoothstepper as soon as the have tem in stock. Waiting for a new BOB (C11G) from cnc4PC, will add charge pump and relays and possibillity to use a VFD for a future spindle.

Up until now a friend helpt me manufacture all the parts, but now its up to me to make the rest with som more basic tools.

This is the history of the build so far. I almost have all the parts for the x- and z-axis so a bit more time in the workshop and then its time for some mounting. Will be back with pictures as soon as there is something to show.

Looks good so far.
    Its amazing what gets thrown away as scrap.

Look very good so far

Bob