586,082 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Lock out feed rate override

Is there away to disable the feed rate override at the machine so it will only run at 100%

Dave

Heh Heh....
    Operator troubles???
    Best way I have to cure that is to tell them I want you to run this machine. If I catch you turning it down, You're fired. I want 15 parts an hour. I don't get 15 parts an hour I'll know you're turning it down. Do I make myself clear?
    I got the same attitude about people that are in there editing my programs. You want sonething changes you bring it to me and we'll look at it. No edits.
    I bid parts based on what I know the part will run in. Some YO YO is turning down my machine he's stealing from me. Plain and simple...

Okay guys, you've got my attention. I don't employ any operators yet but I will eventually. Can somebody tell me why they'd turn down a machine? Do they think they're doing you a favor because the machine sounds like it's running too hard? Or are they lazy and don't want to deburr 30 parts an hour and this is a way to reduce production?

Just trying to understand the motivation. I would have guessed the opposite problem: operators running the machine too hard--breaking cutters and poor finishes.
    Greg

i believe there is a way, im waiting for a call now to see how we do this .. brb..

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Okay guys, you've got my attention. I don't employ any operators yet but I will eventually. Can somebody tell me why they'd turn down a machine? Do they think they're doing you a favor because the machine sounds like it's running too hard? Or are they lazy and don't want to deburr 30 parts an hour and this is a way to reduce production?

Just trying to understand the motivation. I would have guessed the opposite problem: operators running the machine too hard--breaking cutters and poor finishes.
    Lazy. They want to dog the job so they have to do as little as possible. It has nothing to do with such highbrow concepts as tool life or chatter; most machine operators who do this kind of behavior don't care in the slightest if a tool eats it or if a machine is screaming.

If you are looking for machine operators, you need to find someone with decent ethic. Look for someone who has a sense of responsibility outside themselves. Do not pay any attention to skill set if you find such a person, hire them and teach them what they need to know. You might want someone who has some minimum knowledge, but often, those people are just not good employees in the long run. Thus, forcing absurd things like feed rate lock.
    The Machinist's Chatroom
    http://machinechat.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Daves 41 View Post
    Is there away to disable the feed rate override at the machine so it will only run at 100%

Dave
    This should do it for you.

Setting 19 "Feedrate Override Lockout"

Mike

I know for me I lower rapids when I first set up a machine or the first run of the day, can't take the fast movements with out coffee. As for the feed I can't understand that who ever wrote the program should have made it to be the best speed for that machine, that cutter and that opp. turning it down or up just doesn't seem right
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Hmmm, I can see both sides, and I'd go with option 1, read the riot act to the operator. You can acces his cycle times, and his parts/hr.
    I liken the lockout of the feedrate override to driving down a highway with the cruise control locked.....at whatever speed a racecar driver selected. This could lead to a liability situation if someone gets hurt, or the machine crashes.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Cam1
    Feedrate lock outs ain't got diddley to do with crashin a machine. It's got everything to do with a lazy operator what needs to go on down the road.
    I been programming machines since the late 70's. Everyone in my shop knows that I don't miss feed rates by much. I spent a lot of time in my ill spent youth optomizing code on CNC machines to get em to run. Everyone in my shop knows that if they got an idea to bring it to me or my shop forman and we'll address it.
    I'll bet you a dollar that the OP's question revolves around an employee that is doggin the job.
    Most these kids don't get the fact that if you hustle and make your boss's company money, the company will reward you. At least that's how it is at my shop. My employees are my biggest asset.

I agree PBMW, keep the employees that have a work ethic thats aligned to your requirements, and get rid of those that don't. However, treat employees as children....they will act like children. I still stand by my conviction to leave the lockout alone, and deal with the root cause....

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

You know, I think we're sayin the same thing. I'm not in favor of using lockouts or edit keys or any of that stuff. The operators should know not to get to messin round in the program. I've worked in shops where the operator will get to pushin buttons "editing" the program to DEATH. Never get anything done but he was makin it better.....
    You're right though, treating operators like children causes them to act like children.

reading all this is interesting, I work in a shop with 16+ machines 2 guys who can read code 2 who can push the button and 1 who is in the middle and the common joke is we are all slaves to the green light when it blinks we must answer. I can't see being so lazy you want to slow it down, I feel guilty standing there for the last min of the cycle because all my deburing is done.
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Just a little history: The word Sabotage comes from a time early in the industrial revolution in France where workers would toss their wooden shoes (called sabot) into weaving mills to get off work early........

nothing ever really changes

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

This is probably one of those inquisitive idiot type questions, but how do you determine the optimal feed rate? As much as the machine can handle under the manufacturer's SFM & ipt guideline? ie, max out the spindle rpm? but sometimes I don't even have enough rpm for the minimum sfm for smaller diameter tools, ie 1/8" diameter.

Most of the time I'm not even at the 100% feedrate running in single block mode. Other than time, are there any disadvantages at running to slow?

Thanks,

john

The company I work for had a lazy employee.
    In one day he produced 80 parts. These parts
    are sold for $4.00 dollars each. The new operator
    that now runs this job is producing 330 parts in
    one day. We did not modify any feeds or speeds.
    The program is identical. The difference is that
    we now have a great operator.

Lazy employee 80 x 4.00 = $320

Good employee 330 x 4.00 = $1320

That's $1000 dollars more than the lazy employee.

I'm not in a production environment, so parts/hr is something I don't need to worry about. What I do need to worry about is getting the part "right" the first time, on time.
    There are many different realities out there, and each one has it's ads/disads.
    Lazy people will always effect the bottom line.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

John
    The feed rate is determoned my the tool, coating, material, depth of cut, Radial DOC, fixturing, machine rigidity. Many things. It is not necessarily a function of having the load meter pegged all the time. A large tool is stronger than a small tool. A four flute is stronger than a two flute. Sometimes it's the ability to evacuate chips that is the limit to feed rate. Sometimes I can go faster without coolant because I'm not thermally shocking the tool. Sometimes it's the coating that allows more sfm than you would possibly imagine. But it starts by looking at the manufactures recommendations. I frequently get them up past what they say the cutter will do.
    I've known operators that would slow down the machine because they "think that just can't be good for the machine to go that fast"
    Silly operators....

Quote Originally Posted by gsrmmeza View Post
    In one day he produced 80 parts. These parts
    are sold for $4.00 dollars each. The new operator that now runs this job is producing 330 parts in one day.
    That's grounds for firing. I'm not quick to say 'fire somebody'. In fact, it'll be tough when I have to do it the first time.

Not every job can be self-actualizing. I don't have the personality that could stand in front of somebody else's machine and do nothing but load parts. But if you choose that for a living, you'd better at least do your job.

If one guy can produce 330 parts and you assume that he hustled every hour of every day, that's 1.5 minutes per part. That means the 'other guy' was wasting 4.5 minutes extra on every part or goofing off 50 minutes every hour. Wow!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    John
    The feed rate is determoned my the tool, coating, material, depth of cut, Radial DOC, fixturing, machine rigidity. Many things. It is not necessarily a function of having the load meter pegged all the time. A large tool is stronger than a small tool. A four flute is stronger than a two flute. Sometimes it's the ability to evacuate chips that is the limit to feed rate. Sometimes I can go faster without coolant because I'm not thermally shocking the tool. Sometimes it's the coating that allows more sfm than you would possibly imagine. But it starts by looking at the manufactures recommendations. I frequently get them up past what they say the cutter will do.
    Thanks PBMW, if you don't mind I have a few more questions. . .

Are the manufacturer's recommendation on the conservative side or liberal side? I'm still in the prototyping phase should I bump up the feed to the factory minimum as long if I stay within the cutting parameters? Bump up the feed as in running at 100% feed starting from the lowest specified SFM/cpt vs 10% starting from the lowest SFM/cpt.

I usually ended up at around 40~50% feed. . . maybe it's psychological. One push of a button from 10% cuts the time in half, and a couple pushes more cuts the time in half again, but after that it's make may more pushes to cut the time in half again. . .

What happens when I can't meet the minimum sfm with my spindle rpm?

Thanks again,

John

Here's the deal with cutters. When the mfg tells you to run it at 800sfm and no coolant. That's what they mean. The new coatings are heat activated. Coolant will thermaly shock and chip carbide at much above 500sfm. You are not only waisting time by piddleing around at 10% but you are killing the cutter. Use the mfg recommendations and you will not only improve your cycle times but you'll improve your tool life as well.
    This ain't like the old days where we roughed at 300 rpm and 3 ipm.
    You got to turn it up.
    When you buy those tools you also bought all of that companies technical support.
    Use it.
    If you can't make the min sfm...you are using the wrong tool. Or you need to think about a faster machine.

Page 1 of 2 12