586,112 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Helical milling a slot

Helical milling a slot

I'm trying to figure out how to create geometry and/or toolpaths to helical mill a series of slots. I use helical milling frequently, but just circular features. I would even be happy with ramping help, however, the slots are 24mm x 20.5mm and 18.5mm x 16.5mm wide. This doesn't allow much of a straight movement to allow for a ramp move. I am using a Dapra Felix2010 0.55" dia. 2FL E/M and machining a gray cast iron. The CAD/CAM software I'm using is Surfcam Velocity II. Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated. With this capability, I can eliminate two timely drilling cycles and tool changes. Thank you.

Kevin

Hey now Kevin,
    Not sure if I understand what you are trying to achieve here. Also not sure if you are talking about spiraling out from the center of the slot or circle, which can be done very easily in surfcam. Unless I bumped my head. Why are you using such a small tool for such big slots? .9449 X .8071 and .7283 X.6496?? seems to me they are circular by what you describe. Not sure if this helps but if you have a tiny slot and want to eliminate the chance of tool breakage and a scraped part starter holes are the way to go.
    Also not sure if you are talking about spiraling out from the center of the slot or circle

Maguillacutty,
    The slots dimensions are actually 24mm x 20.5mm and 18.5mm x 16.5mm wide x 12.5mm deep. I found a way to helical mill this slot using a groove mill cycle. Using this method, I am able to eliminate a spot drill and a starter drill. My cycle times are much shorter, and i can regulate how much finish stock i wish to leave. I am using a 0.03" helical ramp per revolution and a cycle time of only about 30 seconds per slot. Thank you very much for your response. I actually learned about the groove mill cycle from the CNC Zone. This is a very handy site.

Kevin

Right on Kevin, now you got me intrigued with that. Im gonna give the groove mill function a rip and see whats doing.

sheesh... I've been using sc for a few years now.. never even seen the groove mill function.. I normally just do a helical plunge with a contour operation to save on creating a pilot hole. I think the groove mill is going to be my next favorite operation