586,058 active members*
3,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Com Problem RS232

I am trying to output a program from a Brynt Machine tool. I am using TX, RX,2,3 crossed and 7 to 7 signal ground. Xon/Xoff not used. Baud is 2400 , 8, 1 no parity. CTS RTS DTR CTR tied high Simple set up.
    I recieve only the program number of the program I am downloading. No program. I am not sure if the machine tool is outputing only the prog number because thats all there is. Could the machine tool be waiting for a reply from the computer with no handshaking. I get a Y ASCII character after the Prog number

Quote Originally Posted by bigalow View Post
    I am trying to output a program from a Brynt Machine tool. I am using TX, RX,2,3 crossed and 7 to 7 signal ground. Xon/Xoff not used. Baud is 2400 , 8, 1 no parity. CTS RTS DTR CTR tied high Simple set up.
    I recieve only the program number of the program I am downloading. No program. I am not sure if the machine tool is outputing only the prog number because thats all there is. Could the machine tool be waiting for a reply from the computer with no handshaking. I get a Y ASCII character after the Prog number
    Where did that setup information come from? The machine manual or elsewhere?

25 pin to 25 pin? That is a 7 to 7 signal ground. 25 pin to 9 pin would be 7 to 5 respectively. The rest tied high could be a problem. That really sounds unusual. A few I have seen were jumpered RTS to CTS at each end, but never high. Not sure about your particular machines protocol. 2400 baud sounds older and may have other antiquated com requirements.

comDebug is a very cool free software that helps you see what a transmitting port is putting to your PC. I usually start with TX,RX and common ground. If I see anything else poled in the hand shake indicators, the transmitting end may be expecting a response to continue. Often connecting RTS to CTS handles that. I'd look at the back side of your machines 25 pin connector to verify how many wires actually are used, if you do not already know. It can take some trials to get the proper wire and parameter settings to sync between baud, data, stop bits and parity(odd,even,none), but at least you can see something happen that can lead you toward a solution.

I've heard those mini testers can be a simple useful aid if you know how to use them. I've not had that much luck with them.

Breakout jumper blocks can be a great help too. No matter what the cable is, you can configure it functional then worry about the proper cable if custom.

DC