587,030 active members*
4,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Can't Send From Control To Laptop

Can't Send From Control To Laptop

Hello,
    Can anyone help me please? I have a WSU 12 with a GN 10TF control. I bought a communication kit from a guy on eBay for RS232 hookup. I set machine parameters per his instructions and can only upload a program from my laptop to control. When I try to download from control it just sits there with "punch" flashing but no data is being sent. I just want this function so I can save my parameters to my laptop in case of a problem later on. I even brought another laptop in to try out and it does the same thing. Can upload to machine but won't download from machine. I am using tereterm . Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by metx View Post
    Hello,
    Can anyone help me please? I have a WSU 12 with a GN 10TF control. I bought a communication kit from a guy on eBay for RS232 hookup. I set machine parameters per his instructions and can only upload a program from my laptop to control. When I try to download from control it just sits there with "punch" flashing but no data is being sent. I just want this function so I can save my parameters to my laptop in case of a problem later on. I even brought another laptop in to try out and it does the same thing. Can upload to machine but won't download from machine. I am using tereterm . Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
    Sometimes you have to play around with the parameters a bit. I order to get our DNC software to play nice in both directions I had to set the software to odd parity and the control to even, why this would work I have no idea, I just know it now works. I suggest you start playing around with the parameters for DNC, you will eventually stumble upon what works. Hope this helps.

Most communication issues with Fanuc are cable related. This is the configuration which has always worked for me using a DB25 connector and 4 wire cable:
    2 - 3
    3 - 2
    4 - 5
    5 - 4
    7-8 Jumpered
    6-8-20 jumpered

Hope this helps

ML97

Quote Originally Posted by Motherlode97 View Post
    Most communication issues with Fanuc are cable related. This is the configuration which has always worked for me using a DB25 connector and 4 wire cable:
    2 - 3
    3 - 2
    4 - 5
    5 - 4
    7-8 Jumpered
    6-8-20 jumpered

Hope this helps

ML97
    And yes as Motherlode97 has mentioned your cables must be configured correctly. Also handshake settings are very important.

Rs 232

this is the simple connection DB 25 connector

2 to 3
    3 to 2
    jumper 4-5
    7 to 7
    jumper 6-8-20 together

What do you have in your Setup - Serial Port... settings?

I'm assuming when you try to send a file from the Fanuc to the PC, you're using File - Log in Tera Term?

Re: simple connection. Yes that will also work and is called "software handshake" using xon-off. If you run the 4 wire I posted (full hardware handshake) The chance for buffer overflow is nil especially on long runs at high transfer rates.

ML

080426-1042 EST USA

Motherlode97:

Please explain why a long RS232 cable is a problem for software handshake. Assume operation at 115.2 kbaud, and your concern is the cable time delay. This is 11,520 bytes per second, or 86.9 microseconds per byte.

The propagation velocity of a signal in a typical cable is about 0.7 times the velocity of light. Thus, 1000 ft of cable is a delay of about 1000/982 = 1.02 microseconds. This is about 1/100 the time to send one byte, and about 1/10 the time to send one bit of the byte.

This kind of cable length is totally insignificant in time delay for 115.2 kbaud.

At my web site see photo p3
    http://www.beta-a2.com/cat-5e_photo.html

gar,

If you disagree with my post just say so and post you're advice for the member who just needs help communicating with his laptop.

ML

ML,

Just curious... I've never seen 7-8 jumpered on a Fanuc. Pin 7 is signal ground, and should be wired to pin 7 on the other end. You also show pin 8 jumpered to 6 and 20. Am I missing something here?

Sorry about that. Musta had a senior moment. Correct - pin 7 is signal ground and should be used for trouble free communications.

Yes 6,8 & 20 jumpered for Fanuc. This config. has been used for close to 20 years. I've also used the same cable on Fadal, Haas, and a host of other machines except maybe Hurco which needs a different config.

I can't recall if the 10TF comm. parameters are the same as the as 6, 0M etc. but it seems to me they were. In any case:
    on the setting page I/O =1 ,
    Parameter 0012 Bit 2 = 0 for RS232
    Bit 2 = 1 for 20ma current loop
    Bit 0 = 0 for 1 stop bit
    Bit 0 = 1 for 2 stop bits
    Parameter 0553 (Brate1) sets baud rate (I won't list all of them but here's the most popular) 6=300, 7=600, 8=1200, 9=2400, 10=4800 & 11=9600
    Most of the shops I worked in use 7 data, 1 stop even parity and 4800 baud.
    My 10TF manual disappeared so I hope this helps.

ML

Ah. In your earlier post I saw 7 - 8 - 6 - 20 jumpered. Now I get it.

080427-1255 EST USA

Motherlode97:

I probably disagree with your statement on length's effect on hardware vs software, but I do not know. That is why the question. I do disagree based on propagation time.

I would suggest that if cable capacitance is the problem, then it is also going to cause data errors.

Cable length is probably unimportant in metx's application, but when I see information that is probably incorrect I feel that it is important to clarify the details.

There are many times when a person with a problem is sent in the wrong direction because of incorrect information.

Why didn't I respond to directly to metx's question? Because at the moment I do not have a useful suggestion to his problem as a starting point. I can make suggestions, but they are indirect tests he may not easily make.

Most moderately fast personal computers today, even under Windows, will receive data at 115.2 kbaud without issuing a "stop sending signal" to the sender. This will be communication software dependent. Cimco software has this capability.

My guess is that at Fanuc if 4 and 5 are jumpered, 6-8-20 are separately jumpered, and Fanuc is working correctly that you will get a continuous stream of data from the CNC when a program is sent from Fanuc. Many other places I have described how you can check for this data output.

There seems to be some confusion here about the RS232 pin assignments. The truth is that a 25-pin serial port has different pin assignments than a 9-pin serial port. When connecting two devices that BOTH have a 25-pin serial port, the cables described earlier in this thread will work. If you have a 9-pin serial port on your PC (as is usually the case) and you are connecting to a Fanuc's 25-pin port, here is the way to do it:

Fanuc side PC side
    pin 2 --------------- pin 2
    pin 3 --------------- pin 3
    pin 5 --------------- pin 7
    pin 7 --------------- pin 5
    pin 6 ----
    pin 8 ---- <-- jumber these three together on the Fanuc side only
    pin 20 ---

On the Fanuc, here's how each pin works:

pin 1 - Shield ground (for grounding the cable shield only)
    pin 2 - Serial data transmitted from the Fanuc
    pin 3 - Serial data received by the Fanuc
    pin 4 - Request to Send (RTS) Turns on when the Fanuc tries to send or receive
    pin 5 - Clear to Send (CTS) Fanuc sends with this signal on, stops with it off
    pin 6 - Data Set Ready (DSR) Fanuc throws 086 alarm or "DR OFF" if this signal is off
    pin 7 - Signal ground. Must be tied to other device's signal ground
    pin 8 - Data Carrier Detect (DCD) Fanuc throws 086 alarm or "CD DOWN" if this signal is off
    pin 20 - Data Terminal Ready (DTR) Turns on when the Fanuc tries to send or receive
    pin 25 - +24vdc power source for Fanuc RS232 devices

On the 9-pin PC side, here's what each pin does:

pin 1 - Data Carrier Detect (DCD). Ignored by most DNC programs
    pin 2 - Serial data received by the PC
    pin 3 - Serial data transmitted by the PC
    pin 4 - Data Terminal Ready. Turns on when DNC software opens the port
    pin 5 - Signal ground (connect to pin 7 on the Fanuc)
    pin 6 - Data Set Ready (DSR). Ignored by most DNC programs
    pin 7 - Request to Send (RTS) Turns on when DNC software opens the port
    pin 8 - Clear to Send (CTS) Causes DNC software to stop when sending with RTS/CTS handshaking
    pin 9 - Ring Indicator (RI) A signal used by telepone MODEMS. Ignored by most DNC software.

Hint: If the Fanuc does not see a "high" signal on it's pin 5 (CTS, or Clear to Send), then it can not sent data. That's the only way that I know that you can make a Fanuc just sit there blinking "EDIT" without sending any data. Connecting pin 5 on the Fanuc to the RTS signal on the PC will work (as shown above), but also you can jumper pins 4 & 5 together on the Fanuc side. The problem with the jumper is that the Fanuc will then send the program whether or not the PC is ready to receive. Most DNC software will turn on RTS (pin 7 on a 9-pin plug) when the COM port is opened and turn it off when the port is closed.

If the Fanuc blinks "EDIT" forever, then your culprit is a missing signal on pin 5 of the Fanuc. If the Fanuc blinks "EDIT" for a while and then turns off, then the Fanuc is really sending data and you're just not getting it. In that case, check the connection from pin 2 on the Fanuc to pin 2 on the 9-pin plug. Thats the transmit data pin (from the Fanuc to the PC)

The Xon/Xoff handshake is a frequent problem with Fanucs. Many DNC programs can not respond to an Xoff handshake signal fast enough for a Fanuc. This results in an "087 BUFFER OVERFLOW" alarm. This subject has been discussed many times on this forum, and a search for threads with this subject will yield a ton of past responses from members.

Well done Dan.

ML

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fritz View Post
    Hint: If the Fanuc does not see a "high" signal on it's pin 5 (CTS, or Clear to Send), then it can not sent data. That's the only way that I know that you can make a Fanuc just sit there blinking "EDIT" without sending any data. Connecting pin 5 on the Fanuc to the RTS signal on the PC will work (as shown above), but also you can jumper pins 4 & 5 together on the Fanuc side. The problem with the jumper is that the Fanuc will then send the program whether or not the PC is ready to receive. Most DNC software will turn on RTS (pin 7 on a 9-pin plug) when the COM port is opened and turn it off when the port is closed.

If the Fanuc blinks "EDIT" forever, then your culprit is a missing signal on pin 5 of the Fanuc. If the Fanuc blinks "EDIT" for a while and then turns off, then the Fanuc is really sending data and you're just not getting it. In that case, check the connection from pin 2 on the Fanuc to pin 2 on the 9-pin plug. Thats the transmit data pin (from the Fanuc to the PC)

The Xon/Xoff handshake is a frequent problem with Fanucs. Many DNC programs can not respond to an Xoff handshake signal fast enough for a Fanuc. This results in an "087 BUFFER OVERFLOW" alarm. This subject has been discussed many times on this forum, and a search for threads with this subject will yield a ton of past responses from members.
    Thanks everyone for the replies.
    I checked the cable and all is ok except like you mentioned Dan. There is no continuity from 9 pin end pin # 7 to 25 pin end pin# 5. Also pins 4 and 5 are not jumpered together on the 25 pin end. I hope this is the problem. I will try to get the pinouts correct and try again.
    Thanks again.

Please note my original post had an error. Pin 7 should read Ground. Pin 6,8 & 20 jumpered at Fanuc end.

ML97