586,080 active members*
3,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant eating my paint.

I just changed to "Rustlick power chip 2000" coolant after my Mobile coolant rotted. No problems with rotting, three months, works great...tonight I'm cleaning my VMC and I notice that the edges of the gibs have peeling paint, it's soft too so I know there is some chemical reaction taking place.

I'm uber pissed.

Anyone know what I should do? Can I touch these places up so it doesn't rust?

Anyone have a coolant reccomendation? Synthetic, good on Aluminum, good sump life, won't strip my paint, type coolant?

Another bummer Dave,

I use Mobilmet S-122 water soluble cutting oil, no paint softning or rust on my equipment, it does claim to be non-staining but I do get some staining under the vise if it sets for a time before removing and cleaning under it.

Ken

Dave,
    Never stop running it and it won't rust
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That's also what I found. The one that worked best for my intermittent (hobby) use is one called Zeronite. I was given some by a machinist at work that didn't like the smell!? But I never could find it again. The bad part was it stripped paint like you say. It actually took off slight surface rust too. The kind that is just brown, not pitted. Now I've went through 2 other brands, but they rot in my sump.

I'd rather take paint stripping coolant with other features being good, and then repaint the beast once in a while. If I could find it again that is.

Rust isn't a problem. It's the paint peeling that is bothering me. Just a few dime sized spots but I can see if I keep using this stuff I'll be looking at a paint peeling nightmare. I just got some Hangsterfer (sp?) coolant today, the rep actually drove it to my work and delivered...along with a refractometer. He swears on his mothers eyeballs that it won't hurt my machine, wont spoil, and will improve my mood, sex life, and my kids bad temperment.

Well see.

I can't recall what forum I heard / saw it on... but does anyone know what brand of coolant Caterpillar is using for machining their parts? I used to know when I worked there. Looking into some alternatives for when I switch out my coolant.