586,075 active members*
3,798 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Chick vise

Chick vise

Hello, I just bought a used Chick Qwik-Lok vise. It looks good, but it didn't come with the handle. I know you can just use an allen key to operate it but I haven't been able to find any info on what size of allen key I need. If someone can let me know that would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Chick makes vise handles that look just like conventional handles, except they have a hex on the end. What size and series is this vise (they can be different)? What size allen key are you using?
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill005 View Post
    Hello, I just bought a used Chick Qwik-Lok vise. It looks good, but it didn't come with the handle. I know you can just use an allen key to operate it but I haven't been able to find any info on what size of allen key I need. If someone can let me know that would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    You can either call Chick to get the handle from them, or get the size of the Hex. On the other hand measuring across the flats can help too. Then just use the appropriate Allen Key or Socket Head.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Chick makes vise handles that look just like conventional handles, except they have a hex on the end. What size and series is this vise (they can be different)? What size allen key are you using?
    It is a 6", but I am not sure on the exact model it doesn' say on it

Do the jaws use pins to hold them down or do they have a ball-lock system where they just snap into place? If they snap down, it's the newest, System 5 series.

If it does use pins to hold the jaws, are the jaws totally flat on the bottom or do they have a raised portion that fits into a slot (about 50 mm wide) on the base? If the moving jaws are totally flat on the bottom, you have the M-series. If they have the slightly raised boss on the bottom-center of the moving jaws you have the even earlier Bi-Lock vise.

As already mentioned: Chick does sell those handles. Post up which one you have or measure the diameter of the hex. I think I bought one as a spare a few years ago and it didn't fit my vises. It might be the one that fits yours.
    Greg

Thanks for all the info. I just test a couple of allen keys I borrowed and found that a 17mm fits nice. I am new to these vises, so thanks again for the info. I am sure I will have more questions!!