586,047 active members*
3,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Difference between a Okuma & Okuma Howa

Difference between a Okuma & Okuma Howa

Can anybody tell me what is the difference between a Okuma MC-5VA and a Okuma Howa MILLAC 5VA. from the research that I’ve done it seams that the Okuma Howa come with Fanuc controls? Are they both built by the same company. And witch is a better machine.

The two lines are now operating under the Okuma name. The controls and electronics on the former Howa line (imported by KGK and still called Millac) are Fanuc and those imported by Okuma America are Okuma OSP with Okuma electronics. The "Iron", however, is the same. The model numbers you mention are no longer in production. Is that confusing enough?

We are currently installing at Okuma-Howa Millac 1052, and we have the Okuma Operating Sytem with THINC capabilities. You can order it either way. It's nice to see Okuma finally went with the chip auger behind the table instead of those useless paddles. The only problem I see is the control itself is on a roll-around pedestal, instead of the usual pendulum(sp?) type. That would be a costly tip-over.

Okuma is a better M/C tool, no doubt. More solid, better made and superior after sales support.

Our Millac-1052v is still not installed (day 6). Our installers have only sent one guy the last 3 days, and he has never installed one of these. Then yesterday he had the table jogging, and was working on installing some brackets on the front of the table, and wouldn't you know it, his hand got caught in a pinch point while the table was jogging, and just mangled it. Real dumb mistake, and wouldn't have happened if there were two of them. Sorry about going OT, I just had to rant awhile.

Wow, I'm sorry you are having such bad luck with your install. Is the installer alright, man you never want anything like that to happen. Did you get the machine installed, an up and running?

Machine is up and running. It's real nice. The chip wash doesn't work at all, but I have Okuma working on that as we speak. I really like the tool presetter, and the renishaw probe. They are cutting a lot of time off set-up. It has the new OSP-P200M control on it, and I like what I see so far. It's a 40 x 80 table with everything fully enclosed. The inside of the machine is bigger than my first dorm room in college.

Sorry I forgot, the installer is healing just fine. He had some surgeries, and from what I hear they were successful.:nono: