586,096 active members*
3,721 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

The best cams software?

Hey guys just taking in another survey. Which cams software do you belive would be the best to do molds with. I've heard surfcam was a good one any other choices out there. I am all ears, and my hats off to you guys for being so good to communicate with.

CAD/CAM for molds

Solidworks + Mastercam seems to be a popular combination.

I use Solidworks and Mastercam, works well. I just demo'd Esprit because I just bought a multi axis mill turn machine. they have a VERY powerfull mold package.
    Cimitron is outstanding, Delcam Powermill is outstanding. You do not make mention of the machine you will be using for this but there is NOTHING more powerfull than NCL for five axis work.
    I would not call Surfcam a great choice for mold work. Nore would I choose Mastercam as a first choice. I would rank Cimitron and Delcam near the top.
    These are not low end cam solutions. They will cost you between $40k and $100k
    But they are the best at what you are looking to do.

I use OneCNC, not for molds, but I know some who do. The age old question of what CAM is best, will lead to as many answers as there are guys willing to express their opinions!!! My 2 Cents look at NX!!!!
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

WorkNC, Unnigraphic, Topsolid, Esprit, Partmaker.... so many out their it is pretty much what is you indent to do and $.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

my is : solidedge + edgecam for mill, while solidedge is ok , edgecam is not so wise in some cases, now I`m looking for new software for my lathe and maybe if I find better than edgecam for a mill, interesting software is new sprutcam2007 - have some features like master cam, some like NX - I like the simulation and work with it, I still searching and reads opinion.

Cimatron has so much power specifically geared towards Mold Making.

Solidworks and Gibbscam shake hands well. I'd say go with the Gibbs if you have $$

Quote Originally Posted by I_flungdung View Post
    Solidworks and Gibbscam shake hands well. I'd say go with the Gibbs if you have $$
    Grandpappy, is that you?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"Geeter-dun" Yes it's me.

The original poster has not told us what types of molds he wants to make....
    That will certainly have an influence on the software he chooses. I have a feeling that he's also looking at a TM1, so in reality, the software isn't going to make the thing work...
    Now don't get in an uproar. I ain't bashin the TM1 guys. they do what they do. But if you are doing real live, honest to Gawd "Mold" work. That isn't the obvious first choice for a machine. You'd want one that can take advantage of HSM, high speed spindles, enough rigidity to do serious hardmiling. That ain't the TM1

Thanks guys for inputs into software and suggestions. Yes its a mold out of 6061 for soft plastic injection. (32"x) X (16"y) X (1.5"z) is the dims and it can be done in quadrants.
    Well money dictates alot of things and I just cant afford 40K-100K mill with the little bit of work that might come available. I was going to try and start a new business, but it seems like my potential business arangement went from typical 5k a mold @ 50k worth of work a year, down to 2.5k a mold @ no more than 12 total, to only wanting to pay $500-$700, Per mold. $500-$700 barley covers the cost of material. To me those numbers dont dictate spending 30k-35k for everything I need to get started. Thats why I had to choose a more affordable mill. Bare Bones Start up Cost. It sordy stinks, just got my business liscence set up, got approved for a business line of credit, and then your potential business arangement goes from wanting to keep work in America to what I mention above, Im not even sure if some of our over sea's comp. would work for $500.00. Well thats Business for you. LOL, You can look at the last post from "mom and pop shop with mini mill" to get a look at the mold pic if you interested. Thanks everyone.

The software you're asking about will absolutley bust your bank. Mastercam level III is about the minimum out there for real 3D work like that. It's in the $13-14K range (depending on locale and sales tax laws). Add that to the cost of the machine. Don't forget tooling.

Just be glad that you found this all out now. It's much better to go out of business before you ever start.
    Greg

Or at the very least....before you spend all that money!!!

I'd certainly recommend OneCNCXR3 without reservation, it lacks nothing for mold machining, and is probably half the cost of what you would expect to pay. Does modelling too, in case you need that functionality.

I do all sorts of work with OneCNC from 2.5d production on up to rotomolds. I cannot imagine how I'd get 'stuck' in any conceivable mold project with it. That is not to say that I could model any conceivable thing in it with its array of modelling tools, but if someone has modelled something in other standard softwares, including Solidworks, the file can be imported and machined.

OneCNCXR3 has the added benefit of high speed toolpaths to help out with the hogging cuts. This makes for 17 different toolpath types that are "Nurbs model aware", 9 stock type toolpaths, and hole diameter recognition in 2d or off the model.

OneCNC uses its own toolpath preview and simulation engines. I don't think I'd be stretching the truth to say that the simulation is 100% reliable, at least I have never heard of a single instance where what you got is different than what you saw. I have had the odd case where I didn't look at the simulation, or didn't believe what I was looking at, but it was always valid. Some may think that OneCNC's simulation is crude, but that is its characteristic appearance on the initial pass. By sectioning the simulation and regenerating, you can get details right down to the tool scallops.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

We use a TM-1 and the Gibbs 3d package to do in house mold work for plastic injection molding. The solids files are imported from Solidworks. The molds are made from aluminum. This system works well for us, but would be a poor solution for larger molds made out of harder materials. And it's only 2 or 3 molds per year, maybe. The rest of the time the machine does prototype work.

You are correct there is no way you could do that mold for that price($500-$700). The price of the aluminum would be about $250-$325. You would also have more hours in machining the part than you think in order to get the surface finish that they would require. Also would you have to do any other work to the tool besides just squaring, and machining the surfaces? They could not even get that done in China for that low price and get it shipped. Rule of thumb on doing business with people is if they start changing verbal pricing by a ton before you actually do business then they will screw you once you do the job. They will either come up with surface finish issues or some other line of BS in order to not pay you the full amount. Also always find out the required surface finish from injection molding guys, this is a paramount issue with them and can really affect machining time (costs).

That part looks like it will take a bit more than an hour to run. Add in setup, Programming time, Tooling, Material markup, and finishing (I am assuming that it needs polished when it is finished) you are looking at a few grand. This part probably cost 5K and your customer already has a few quotes from other shops to back this up. What I see going on is some prick saying "Here is a new guy, I bet I can bend him over real good!". I have charged $1500 for a fraction the amount of work and the customer just kept coming back. If they want to go to china then let them. I have seen many people do this only to come back because either it was not cheaper when reality set it, the commies fined them for one of their new, unpublished laws that they supposidly broke (popular in Mexico), The shipping cost more than the part, The quality was bad and the producer is 8000 miles away, ect... Serious people dont low ball. You quote them, they may squirm a little depending on the person you are dealing with, they discuss it with their co-workers or department (if it is a larger company and the owner is not the one you are dealing with.), The send a PO with a down payment and write a check Net 30 when the job is delivered. No BS, just business as usual. I have dealt with low ball whiny customers in the past and when you do finish the work, have no money up front, a ton in material and tooling, they cant seem to find that damn check book. I even had to "motivate" them to pay several months past the invoice due date. To hell with that, I can stay home for free. Why pay to work.

cam software? anyone out there tried featurecam from delcam? I think it's great, and easy to use.

I use Mastercam Level 3 with solids. I am very happy with it. It is one of the largest suppliers, if not the largest. In other words, support is not a problem. Any cam system is only as good as the support, in my opinion.

wcarmn

Page 1 of 2 12