586,082 active members*
3,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

These power supplies useful?

I'm in the process of designing a 4' x 8' wood router. Right now I'm still finalizing the mechanical design and collecting parts for that portion of it. Other than trying to decide if I want to use servos or steppers (leaning toward servos at the moment), I havn't really given the electronic side of things a whole lot of thought. However, I've just come across a few power supplies that are being scrapped at work and I'd like to know if they are worth holding onto. The details:

Lambda Electronics regulated supplies, 110 V in, 24 VDC out, Models LS-42-24, LS-42-24, and LS-44-24. These are 5A, 10A, and 15A panel mount supplies, respectively.

All of the supplies work fine, they are just part of some larger machines that are being scrapped. There are 3 of the 15A, 1 of the 10A, and at least 2 of the 5A supplies available.

From what I've gathered and calculated so far, I'm pretty sure I'll need a power supply with more than 24 VDC in the end for this size router. Could any of these supplies be useful for what I plan to do either individually or combined somehow though? Electronics are not my strong point, although I'm learning.....slowly.

The packrat in me says to grab them and figure it out later. However, I have a garage full of things that were picked up using that reasoning. I'm running out of room. If they won't work for this application, I'll force myself to pass on them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Well my guess is they will be to small for your project. As even if you rewire its only 360 watts. But might be able to make a nice car/truck battery charger if you have a 24volt setup :P

But as i am a packrat too. i would keep one 15 amps. and rob any nice big caps and heatsinks from the others as you can always buy anothers for 10-20 bucks on ebay. (but you have to wait for them to showup and pay high cost of shipping)

Thanks. I was afraid that they would not work for what I wanted to do. I can't resist the urge though. I'll have to grab at least one. I hope I do find a use for it other than just taking up space. Thanks again.