586,523 active members*
3,328 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > CNC utility/program? discs- Magnaturn 1220

CNC utility/program? discs- Magnaturn 1220

Hi,
    I have just purchased a South Bend Magnaturn 1220 CNC Lathe.

I am looking for a set of start up discs. For A and B drive (Someone stole them at auction) or a utility program that will work in place of original.
    I believe this machine had Ultrapath on it.

What will comunicate with machine to allow G- code or cad/cam program to work with it?

Can anyone help?

(Note: My first post -may be in the wrong area)

Pete S

This machine came with a proprietary software system that both ran the machine and had a limited function cad system for generating G code.

The unfortunate thing is South Bend claimed that the software supplied to run each machine was specific to that machine. In what way it was specific was not elaborated on but they stress in the manuals that loss of the original software for a specific machine was very serious.

The software also uses a proprietarty formatting of the disks. Leonard Numerical Control, who wrote the software may have been interested in copy protection and I think this might be the way in which each set of disks was dedicated to each machine.

With this in mind, I am not sure if a copy of a set of disks from another machine would work.

Re: CNC utility/program? discs- Magnaturn 1220

I'm not sure if this discussion is still active but here's my input. I have many discs and back-up discs and have had to re copy. I expect when these were new it was very critical to use the original machine disc to maintain optimum performance. At this stage in the game, I'm not sure it's that critical. You can go into the software and re-set and save if you have to. Also, It's possible there were several variants of the software and some may have been more locked than what I have. I'll stop rambling until I hear that this is a current topic of interest !!!