586,065 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

6061 aluminum finish ??

6061 aluminum part

I wanted to know the best way to put a nice shiny finish on my new part. I surfaced the part on my CNC mill, but don't like the boxed swirly pattern that the end mill left.

I don't own a surface grinder, but I do have a 12" disc sander and a 6" grinder. I have 120 grit paper for the 12", but don't think this is really going to leave me with a nice shiny finish.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks

Anyone ?

Depends on the shape of the part, but I'd wet sand with 320, 400, 600, and then polish with polishing compund.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

But doesn't that scratch it, leaving a nasty surface?

I'll upload a photo of my part, give me a sec.

You'll notice in one of the pictures the stair stepping on the side of the part. I believe this is do to my backlash screws loosening. The part I'm trying to surface is the top of the shaft and maybe something to clean up that side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN6891.JPG   DSCN6892.JPG   DSCN6894.JPG  

Make a flex pass using cuter comp or wright a tool path to do the same to clean up the steps a vib finisher will camo some of the tool mark's but not all two flut end mill fast spindel speed coolant and a fairly fast feed rate on the cleanup Good luck kevin

I found out about a neat tool that might help out. I was helping out with FIRST last year at a machine shop and they had a semisoft wheel that went on a grinder. They referred to it as a deburring wheel. It almost acted as a polisher. It will remove a little material if you are not careful.

Doing a quick web search it looks like 3M might also make something using scotchbrite material. I know that you can get this in sheets, so maybe put it in a sander.

Make sure you try it first on a sample piece.

Paul

Thanks guys for help and suggestions, but I have already found a way that worked great. Here's what I bought

- 180 grit wet sandpaper
    - 800 grit wet sandpaper
    - 1200 grit wet sandpaper
    - 2000 grit wet sandpaper

Started off with the 180 and worked it all the way thru the 2000 grit. I then polished it with some mothers aluminum polish, and bam the part came out looking like it was chromed ! Couldn't be happier with the finish, except how easy the surface scratches.

I started another post here asking what can I do beside anodizing or painting to seal it. Any at home tricks I can do ?

Quote Originally Posted by peburrell View Post
    I found out about a neat tool that might help out. I was helping out with FIRST last year at a machine shop and they had a semisoft wheel that went on a grinder. They referred to it as a deburring wheel. It almost acted as a polisher. It will remove a little material if you are not careful.

Doing a quick web search it looks like 3M might also make something using scotchbrite material. I know that you can get this in sheets, so maybe put it in a sander.

Make sure you try it first on a sample piece.

Paul
    Don't ever use those if you intend to polish the part to a mirror like finish. The problem is that unlike using sandpaper you end up putting scratches in the parts that have an inconsistant depth. So even if the part looks nice and shiney you still end up having a lot of work left sanding to prep them for buffing the part to a mirror. They do put an alright finish on the part from the get go though. So if you are planning on painting or powder coating the part they are excellent.

Thanks for the tip !!

Here's a picture of how it came out. Notice the scratches on the bottom of the shaft, not from sanding. I had the part backwards in the slot and must have moved it up and down a few times, and as you can see scratches scratches.

Anything I can do to prevent this, maybe a little clear coat from Lowes, home depot ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

I always found Pledge lemon furniture polish ok for keeping the aluminum from oxidizing. Might stink a little but it works

ZoopSeal

Check out my thread here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56994 it also has a link to my blog where I'm working on teaching/experimenting myself with 6061 finishes and will continue to post updates as I play with different solutions!
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Wink polish

Polish the piece with methyl ethyl ketone. Toxic but removes any oxidation.

Update - I swung by a local Jewelry Supply store (Metalliferous in Manhattan on W 46th St - www.metalliferous.com - highly recommended) and purchased some 1200 and 2000 grit sandpaper. I also purchased 400 and 600 grit sandpaper along with MAAS polishing creme at HomeDepot. Fully details - including a tutorial video of the process - are available here: http://www.nyccnc.com/Herbie/HERBIES...uminum!!!.html

Bottom line: I have achieved a great looking mirror finish on aluminum!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQVBSoXlEc"]YouTube - Mirror Finish on Milled Aluminum![/ame]

Hi Tikka,
    I've done the same exact method in my picture posted two days ago (400, 600, 800, 2000, then the mag polish). My problem is after I sanded, polished and so forth, the part still scratches like cheap glass.

I've read that when anodizing there is some chemical _________ ? that leaves a scratch resistance surface, almost like a clear coat of some sort.

Do you have any videos on how to DIY anodizing ???

Parts List ??

This would be a great video to put up, going thru every detail on that. I would have already tried this, but I'm just afraid I'll burn or electrocute myself.

Nice job on the video btw very detailed, I just wish I would have found this 4 days ago.

Thanks
    Chris

Twocik - I hear you. I'm trying to achieve the same thing you are - which is a clear, protective finish over my parts. I just purchased Rustoleum's Aluminum glossy metalic finish , which is an enamel spray (http://painting123.com/ProductInfo.asp?p2=I2 product #446637). I tried it with high hopes, but it has two flaws: 1) It foggs up the mirror finish (not completely, but enough that it bothers me) and 2) it doesn't REALLY protect it! A very very light touch fromi a piece of metal scratches the coat. Now, scratching this is better than scratching the polished aluminum, but it's still not a solution I am content with.

I have never done DIY anodizing but am VERY interested. If I had a "real" workspace (i.e. not my bedroom), I'd be doing it tomorrow. I ultimately think anodizing is the only / best solution, as it truly provides a HARD protective finish...

Twocik - I just email with a guy at DuraCoat. He said that their product will 1) provide sufficient protection from scratches as a hard-protective layer and 2) not impact the aesthetic of the part. I'm going to order this - http://www.houtsenterprises.net/product119.html - and you can count on me to post the results on my blog www.nyccnc.com

The best spray on product for bare metal that I have found is Nyalic...YMMV

Let me know how it works out !!!

So no one on the home DIY anodizing ?

Part lists

Page 1 of 2 12