586,075 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Electrical Isolation? (p.sup.)

Im building an aluminum box to hold my power supply and a XYLOTEX driver all in one box. My design is to mount power supply(transf. b.rectifier. cap.)to aluminum box. The driver is to be mounted with aluminum standoffs so the electronics doesn't touch aluminum. My question is what can touch directly to aluminum and what cannot. Is the non toroid transf. able to mount directly to aluminum along with rect. and capac.? Are aluminum standoffs good for driver as long as screws do not interfere with circuits on driver?

Components such as transformer, bridge rectifier, capacitors usually all have isolation so they can be mounted directly to the enclosure and the enclosure should be connected to the incoming supply ground wire, some capacitors have the case at ground and if so should be insulated if you require a floating power supply ground, but most of the large capacitors intended for power supplies have isolated case. I usually ground all my power supplies by connecting the negative output of the DC supply to ground (enclosure). The think to watch for in aluminum stand offs is that they do not touch any of the foil on the circuit board.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

There is a ring of foil for each screw hole. But this does not seem to touch any electrical paths. Is this the foil you were referring to or just the circuit foil?

Some mounting holes just have a ring of isolated copper around the hole some have the copper connected to the main ground plane, either way it should not be a problem, even so, xylotex should indicate if there would be a problem grounding the circuit board common.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks For The Info