Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
A few things to help you out.

#1) Get a "hopping foot" or "embroidery foot" for your sewing machine. A regular foot doesn't give the kind of movement required for quilting operations.

#2) Don't bother with a speed encoder. You can acheive excellent results but keeping the quilting speed of your sewing machine consistent and always moving the cnc portion of the system at a set speed. You will have to figure out some way to create pauses at angles greater than 45 degrees or you will not get detailed points of any kind and the sewing will look very sloppy. When the PCQuilter was first designed and created, the inventor was unable to make use of standard CNC software and had to create his own XY language and controller software because of the lack of features required by running a sewing machine.

#3) On your quilting frame, you will need some way to keep the rollers locked and taught. You will also have to attach something to the sides of the quilt (i'd suggest elastic bands) to keep the left and right movement of the machine from distorting your sewing.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Wade
First of all I am very thankful to u for highliting good points...Following is my views:

A few things to help you out.

#1) Get a "hopping foot" or "embroidery foot" for your sewing machine. A regular foot doesn't give the kind of movement required for quilting operations.
Wade
1-) Wade.. I am really searching for Quilting foot (draining foot) but still not got one... I know about the fact that the Other foots (All types of press foot) are distorting the quilt operation...I must add that the experimentation i previously did on my router was without any press foot and feed dog was also made disabled by putting paper card on it..

#2) Don't bother with a speed encoder. You can acheive excellent results but keeping the quilting speed of your sewing machine consistent and always moving the cnc portion of the system at a set speed. You will have to figure out some way to create pauses at angles greater than 45 degrees or you will not get detailed points of any kind and the sewing will look very sloppy. When the PCQuilter was first designed and created, the inventor was unable to make use of standard CNC software and had to create his own XY language and controller software because of the lack of features required by running a sewing machine.

Wade
2)- I discussed with my friend EMMKAY in detail about the cruise controller and we didn't see this cruise controller stuff at PC-quilter website...so we come into the conclusion to have a cheap optical encoder fitted into the machine, so that we can regulate the stitches to equal lengths at tight corners...I just afraid that not using SPEED ENCODER will keep breaking the thread/needle...
I really appreciate the great idea of yours to CREATE PAUSES AT ANGLES greater than 45 this have to be done in the CAM processor, or we will need help to generate the Post Processor for these pauses...I hope the VECTRIC or anybody from other softwares will help us in making PP for this purpose...

#3) On your quilting frame, you will need some way to keep the rollers locked and taught. You will also have to attach something to the sides of the quilt (i'd suggest elastic bands) to keep the left and right movement of the machine from distorting your sewing.

Wade
Wade i already made a simple arrangement in the drawings to easily lock both the rollers in place, for this i have many options, but the current better one is to have a drilled circular plate on the roller end, same drilled patterns on the roller support plate and the dowel pin... Just rotate the roller to its position and insert one or two dowel pins in the holes..the other is the ratchet-cam option...
If you can please explain the sides movement restriction with band....

Thanks again, we learn something from you and you really a good contributor.

Thanks
Bets Regards