586,440 active members*
3,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Where do you get your metal stock?

Question Where do you get your metal stock?

Sorry to ask such a newbie question, but I wonder where do you guy get metal suitable for milling. Like AL, brass, even steel. I've seen stuff on eBay but it seems rather pricey...

Have you tried the yellow pages? I buy my aluminum and steel all locally. Advice and a friendly face included for no extra charge. Custom manufacturers may also carry some other materials.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Local suppliers, scrap yard and some places will sell cut offs pretty cheap.
    www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

The last order I had, I got through Speedy Metals. I got a shipping notice less then 24 hours later... Speedy!
    http://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx

I've also have gotten a few orders through Online Metals:
    http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Later,
    Jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

www.metalsdepot.com

Except I don't have to mail-order because they're local to me.

BTW: they have a nice PDF catalog you can download.

I buy locally. I checked the yellow pages and Googled for metal dealers in my area. I then called around to see if they had an "off cuts" rack.
    Many places don't bother and just bung the little pieces in the scrap. The ones I found all had a very good selection of small stuff, and were very helpful and reasonable.
    Half the time, I'm able to find off cuts that were just the right size for the intended project and therefore, saved me the effort of cutting the stock to size...:rainfro:
    Just a few small hints.
    1) Be nice. Off cuts is not their main business.
    2) Ask if you need safety shoes when you call. Don't want to make a trip and then not be allowed on the shop floor due to safety reasons.
    3) I keep some gloves in my car (in the glove box, of course) so I can do metal runs at lunch and not come back to the office with greasy hands.
    Been there, done that, got the tee shirt...

from local scrap yard which is also a metal supplier. usualy they want orders in magnitudes of 6meters.
    and thanx to some friends in the local industry i got a few kg's of 7175 aluminium.

Home Depot

I just stopped by Home Depot today and got a round .5"x36" aluminum rod. They don't have much, but I'm in the same boat as you. Don't know where to get this stuff in LA so I just thought I look at whatever is close to me. If anyone here has any info, I would much appreciate it too. Some of the links also look pretty good, but you know how it is, who wants to wait...hehe...It's just what I need to make the thumb stick piece that broke off my wireless keyboard and I have been using it without it, but it's not the same. Now if I can only figure out how to make it nice...second actual part that I need to make so we'll see how this one goes.

I also cut some small pieces of flat steel bar I bought there a while back and used the grinder to make them thinner too. I used this for a shelf holder I made and works great. Very strong stuff even though it's small, width wise. Now my cutter is abut centered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime128 View Post
    I just stopped by Home Depot today and got a round .5"x36" aluminum rod. They don't have much, but I'm in the same boat as you. Don't know where to get this stuff in LA so I just thought I look at whatever is close to me. If anyone here has any info, I would much appreciate it too. Some of the links also look pretty good, but you know how it is, who wants to wait...hehe...It's just what I need to make the thumb stick piece that broke off my wireless keyboard and I have been using it without it, but it's not the same. Now if I can only figure out how to make it nice...second actual part that I need to make so we'll see how this one goes.
    LA as in Los Angeles?

there are plenty of suppliers of metals in the LA and Orange county area. i'm pretty sure there is at least one Industrial Metal Supply in LA. i know there is a scrap yard that is open on the weekends around where the 605 crosses the 5 (I think) in Norwalk. there are also a lot of machinery dealers out that way too.
    -Jeff

This is just a suggestion, but try http://maps.google.com/

Enter your location and get the map up.

Then choose "Find Businesses"

Type steel or aluminum or whatever into the find box and be amazed!

It'll even show you where they are in relation to you.

Now google the best prospects then call them.

Don't overlook the smaller manufacturing shops you may have in your area. You'd be surprised at what they throw away. If you're not above a bit of dumpster-diving, you may be well rewarded. Most of these shops have dedicated scrap bins, so you don't have to dig thru "garbage". Larger shops may have segregated aluminum and steel hoppers, many times in the back lot area and easily accessable.

Home Depot? Dumpster diving? Man you guys are cheap! j/k, I've resorted to both those methods. You've got to be resourceful in this hobby sometimes.

I just read the yellow pages for the 2 shops that supply my stuff. Neither of them advertise the fact they sell material, so maybe the yellow pages can be a bit misleading. One of them is a custom-machining/custom-manufacturing shop. Amazing what they have on hand. I love going to pick up material and seeing what projects they have going. Can't duplicate that experience with an on-line supermarket.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Home Depot? Dumpster diving? Man you guys are cheap! j/k, I've resorted to both those methods. You've got to be resourceful in this hobby sometimes.

I just read the yellow pages for the 2 shops that supply my stuff. Neither of them advertise the fact they sell material, so maybe the yellow pages can be a bit misleading. One of them is a custom-machining/custom-manufacturing shop. Amazing what they have on hand. I love going to pick up material and seeing what projects they have going. Can't duplicate that experience with an on-line supermarket.
    Gotta do what ya gotta do...
    The first time I went to a supplier, they were just getting out an order that looked it weighed as much as any 6 cars in the parking lot combined. I just wanted a couple of feet of 1 inch square CR steel and a 6 inch slab of 2x3 6061. They were helpful and interested in what I needed the stuff for. Walked out with exactly what I needed for what seemed like pocket change. :rainfro:
    Been there, done that, got the tee shirt...

I just stopped by Home Depot today and got a round .5"x36" aluminum rod.....
    Hardware aluminum is not recommended for machining. It is too soft and "sticky" to work well. You will want to get at least 6061 grade from an actual industrial metal dealer.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Home Depot? Dumpster diving? Man you guys are cheap!

I resemble that remark!
    You must have seen my other "budget projects" :banana:

This is why I love this forum...

I learn something new every time I read it. Resourceful is the key word as a beginner. Since I'm just getting my hands wet, the Home Depot is fine until I can get everything set up and get whatever other tools I need. Plus, the practice will come in handy later I'm sure. And yes, LA = Los Angeles. Although I know there are plenty of places, I never had to look for them until now. I never had any machines before, but now that I do, it's time to find some. Yes, google is our friend too. I know how to use that, but sometimes is faster to ask people doing this stuff, like all of you here and maybe get pointed in the right direction. Just saving a bit of time.

Take a look on ebay. I found some nice 1/2" 6061 plate there cheaper than I could buy it locally including shipping. Locally I have bought from Metalsupermarket. Most of the plate there looks pretty rough.

. Yes, google is our friend too. I know how to use that, but sometimes is faster to ask people doing this stuff, like all of you here and maybe get pointed in the right direction. Just saving a bit of time.
    I agree. Google is great, but sometimes it takes long to sort out the BS from the real stuff.
    -Jeff

I get most of my aluminum through Enco (www.use-enco.com). They usually have a promo code that gives you free shipping on orders of more than a certain amount (usually 50 or 200 dollars) Probably not the best prices, but I don't have to get up from my seat and they have what I need most of the time. Most of the aluminum that I work with is either rods, or bars that is less than .25"x4", so I just cut the 6' bars to length and don't have much waste. The times I need a larger chunk of aluminum I'll either get it from ebay or mcmaster. I've also ordered steel from Alro Metals (www.asapsource.com) who have a pretty decent selection.

-Matt

If you're in Los Angeles you can get some here...

They got tons of stuff here and of course the other links too...By the way, if you're just starting, don't spend more than 20 bucks. Trust me, this will keep you busy for a little while. Just have an idea of what you want to make so you buy roughly what you will use. You don't want to buy a bunch of stuff then not use it. Just a handful of pieces will keep you busy. I just finished making some clamps for my vise and well, that's a little project in itself if you haven't machine anything. It looks very simple, but will take you a while...
    http://www.imsmetals.com/