586,117 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Employment Opportunity / RFQ (Request for Quote). > Employment Opportunity > RFQ closed - scale model machined auto wheels needed

RFQ closed - scale model machined auto wheels needed

RFQ Closed I'd like to thank all the friendly, helpful CNCzone members who took the time to respond to my RFQ. I received several responses in a matter of days. I'd also like to thank Paul and CNCzone for providing a forum where everyday folks like me can find talented machinists to do smaller jobs that large shops simply won't entertain.

CNCzone is definitely a cause worth donating to!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for a homeshop machinist or small machine shop to make five wheels for a scale model I am working on. The design is very similar to the 1960s Halibrand wheels used on Ford Cobras. The scale is 1:18 (like what you find on a typical Burago or ERTL diecast model car). In real terms that means dimensions approximately 1" diameter and 0.5" wide.

Aluminum cast and milled perhaps?? Take a look at the attached images. I'll need to know if you can work from the images provided (higher resolution images are available) and my dimensions, or if I need to provide actual dimensional drawings.

I'll need a price quote for five wheels, and a timeframe from the day I place the order. I already understand this isn't going to be inexpensive. As a small one-off project I expected as much. Don't hesitate to contact me even if you think your quote is steep. I'm looking for quality work, and accuracy, and I'm willing to pay for it.

I am located in southern New Hampshire and would like to find someone in the area, but will consider out of state as well.

Thanks,

Joe Martins
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wheel7small.jpg   wheel1.jpg   wheel6 ps.jpg   wheel3.jpg  

wheel4.jpg  

Joe,

I would be interested in this project. Call me and we can discuss the details.

I could make just one mold and cast the pieces, or machine all 5. I would need some detailed drawings for an accurate quote.

Brant Emery
    E-WAX
    630-968-6001
    630-886-8814 cell
    [email protected]

Back photo

Do you have a photo of how you want the wheel to attach to the axle?

mounting the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by kdoney
    Do you have a photo of how you want the wheel to attach to the axle?
    kdoney -

The model uses same-sized plastic 3/16" dia spindles at all 4 points. The wheels push onto the spindles and typically snap in place (the back side of each wheel has a hole the diameter of a spindle and approximately 1/4" deep).

Hope that helps.

Joe

I saw your post last night and decided to give the wheel a spin for practice. I have attached a rendering of the wheel I drew using Rhino 3D software. This is a machineable part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel2.jpg  

WOW that's looks great!

I agree, very nice work cybrdave2000 and I am more then willing to admit that it is much superior then when I did it, although I think my spinner looks better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg  

Thought you all might like to see the final model

Hi all,

A fellow by the name of Artur Tchoukanov completed this model for me last month. His accuracy is unbelievable. The original photos I posted were of two slightly different wheels. One was a Halibrand knock-off. The other (shown below) is a custom PSEngineering wheel with a sort of modern Halibrand look to it. That's the one he modeled for me.

I've since had the wheels made for the model. As soon as I'm finished in late December I'll post more pictures of the completed car.

The original photo:

The model:

By the way Dave, Ken, I saw your models....excellent work too!!

Kind regards,

Joe Martins

Ken,

Your spinner is way better than mine! Great job! What software are you using?

Joe,
    Looking very forward to the pics of you model.

Dave,
    I use OneCNC XR-Professional, even though I am not