586,103 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Why is Mazak better than Haas?

Why is Mazak better than Haas?

I'm looking at a new Mazak VNC 510 and a Haas VF4-SS.
    I would like to justify the extra 40% price tag of the mazak.
    I would especially like to here from someone who has run both.

Thanks

In my opinion just forget both and get a Mori if you want a machine that can hog material.
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

I can't find any dealers or support for mori in my area. Calgary, AB, Canada.

What type of work are you going to be doing? Drilling, tapping, and light machining will be fine in most materials if you want to use a Haas. However, if you want to get into the tougher alloy ferrous and non-ferrous steels or high temp materials it will be difficult to compete w/ shops that have the more rigid machinery. What is the burden rate at your facility? Do yourself a favor and look at the specs of the servo's on the machinery you are comparing, then look at the diameter and pitch of the ball screws. This will give you an idea of the performance differences between them. Many peolple look at the spindle HP and think that will give them an idea of the performance. If you don't have the HP and torque on the servos to push the material into the cutter at a sufficient rate then you putting more time into the job and loosing money.
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

There is no "one size fits all" for the best machine to get. Haas offers a good bang for the buck. The more expensive machines do offer more performance. May or may not be worth the expense. Depends on your specific situation. Good support, close by, would be a huge factor.

Karl

Not sure if Matsuura is in your price range, but they provide excellent service to us in Calgary.

These guys might be close enough for a Mori

Distributor for Mori Seiki USA, Inc.
    Ellison Technologies
    2138-21320 Westminster Hwy.
    Richmond BC V6V 2W3
    Canada
    604-207-9340

www.ellisontechnologies.com
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis

Both Haas and Mazak make good machines. To claim one is better without knowing the application is naive.

The Mazak is capable of outperforming the Haas if properly fixtured, tooled, and programmed. Use the cheapest tools, cheapest vises, and program it like it were a knee mill and the machine will not impress.

Properly applied, the Mazak can easily do $40K more work per year than the Haas.

did ellison come back because they went south of the boarder a few yrs back , service cost is or was a fortune

as laka suggested Matsuura is a good way to go , very nice machines and the service from Elliot machinery is incredible , i dont know if Hans still services the west but i'd swear the guy never sleeps
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Everyone is right..To know whats best for you,we need info on the application.
    Mazaks are lightning fast,almost too fast to be safe,but it comes with a sacrifice..rigidity,and since they are able to run more cycles in a given amount of time,they break down.
    Mori's are somewhat slower but are built like a piece of granite and for most,probably have less down time.
    Not sure about now,but at one time Okuma was the best for rigidity and reliability but were the slowest and probably on the expensive side...It's been a while since i've worked with an Okuma.
    Fadal was a good choice for all around performance and maintenance cost.

Thats about what i've learned working with Machine centers,but there are many more out there,some of them very good.

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    did ellison come back because they went south of the boarder a few yrs back , service cost is or was a fortune

as laka suggested Matsuura is a good way to go , very nice machines and the service from Elliot machinery is incredible , i dont know if Hans still services the west but i'd swear the guy never sleeps
    Hans S. is a good friend of mine! He does still work for Elliot Matsuura, and still works crazy hours to keep the customers happy. Fun guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    Hans S. is a good friend of mine! He does still work for Elliot Matsuura, and still works crazy hours to keep the customers happy. Fun guy too.
    he's a great guy , certainly has a passion for what he does . time doesn t seem to matter to the guy ,he's there until the machine is running , and if it take a couple days then ive seen him be there for a couple days straight literally not leaving the shop
    every other company ive seen seems to work on a 5hr day and leave at their regular clock out time no matter what point they are at in the repair
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Hi everybody

I want to add also some points. Yes some think rigidity, power. They are important points.
    My opinion is to sell as used machine in advance. And finding spare parts in advance. 10 years or more time

haas and mazak both r very rigid machines. we have both makes of them at my shop. if ur a job shop and u do short jobs etc, i would def go with the mazak. conversational machines imo r the best. very quick programing and much easier to use. thats y u pay the extra money for mazak. the cad ware is already in the machine. u wont b disappointed with either of them. one of my mazak lathes i will admit is a peice tho.lol but thats the only one.

go with the haas try to fix the mazak when they break down cost a lot hard to get
    parts mazatrol sucks can not do artfull programming your stuck with what they think

This thread is over 1 year old.
    "Fire is cool" -Beavis