586,590 active members*
2,929 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 6 456

New Plugin, upgrade with quick pick funcitons and auto ranging for 12 pos switches!!

New ModIO MP-03 Pendant plugin!!

Here is some of what has been added:

1). "Auto-Ranging", for setting up the position values of both the left and right 12 position switches.
    basically, you set the pendant switch value you want the minimum and maximum values set for you,
    for that position in the plugin, then match the position switch and push auto range button. It will calculate
    the max and min values for that position, and add 10 point below and above it to ensure the range.

2). Function "Quick Pic" page, in where some common Mach3 functions, are available for you to map your User LEDs to
    if for example you don't want to, or know how to use VB, or Brains.
    for example: "Program Stop", Toggle M1, Teach, stop teach, set VAR, Goto VAR, Goto Zeros, and many others...
    ALSO, there are 6 Macro Launchers, that you can tell it to launch any macro OEM or USER for advanced Probing routines etc..
    This is for those that want to or can write VB macros.

3). Peter and I are also, bouncing around some "Legend Plate" ideas, in where you can have plates for the top, and bottom
    of the pendant, that identify the buttons and knob-position functions (sorely needed in my opinion).

BTW2: On my kit, since I got the "Locking E-stop" option, I took that single red top push button, in put it in the "Spindle" button hole,
    it looks good there, and lets you know that it is a possibly dangerous button.

screen shot of the Function Quick Pics page:

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QickPickFuncs.jpg  
    Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

Where and when can we get the update?

Hey Wayneb,

I sent Peter all the stuff: The plugin, the installer, the documentation and manuals, etc.

Send him an email and see when he is going to make them available for download from his site........ (I think there is a charge for
    the plugin as well). Not sure what he is doing for existing customers..

scott
    Commercial Mach3: Screens, Wizards, Plugins, Brains,PLCs, Macros, ATC's, machine design/build, retrofit, EMC2, Prototyping. http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerfablab/

Well!!!

I just got my copy of Digital Machinist Magazine that has my article on building/using Peter Holman's MP-03!!!
    First time being published in a Mag!!! Check out the "Summer" issue, the article starts on Page 50.

Let me know what you think if you read the article.

Scott

Hi scott,

Well done on getting the article printed. I'll have to wait a little while before reading the article as magazines take a bit longer to reach down under.

BTW, the correct spelling is 'Homann'

Cheers,

Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

"BTW, the correct spelling is "Homann"

Sorry, I can't spell "Godzerra" either.

Thank goodness for Spell check.......

Great article - it has me wanting an MP-03 for my Tormach mill. That mill uses an older version of Mach3. Could that present any problems with implementing the MP-03?

Also, I'm not quite clear on what the ModBus is - does the Mach3 PC need a need a special interface card to use the MP-03 or will a standard serial port serve that purpose?

Thanks, Mike

Answers embedded:

Great article - it has me wanting an MP-03 for my Tormach mill.
    >>>Thanks!!!
    That mill uses an older version of Mach3. Could that present any problems with implementing the MP-03?
    >>> No not really, that plugin was also used on the "Old" Mach3 as well.

Also, I'm not quite clear on what the ModBus is - does the Mach3 PC need a need a special interface card to use the MP-03 or will a standard serial port serve that purpose?
    >>>you can use a standard serial bus, or...... a USB with USB-serial converter.

By a kit from Pete, it comes with all the info and De-Structions!!
    NOTHING is even CLOSE to what all this thing can do.

Scott

Thanks Scott. As I understand it then, the MP-03 is connected by cable to the ModIO unit and that in turn is connected to a standard PC serial port. Do I have that right?

BTW, I've been going your DM article on the MP-03 again - very nice job indeed.

Mike

Thanks for the chops on the DM artical, I should have another one coming out soon(ish). I think George is working it up now... Not sure of its release date for what issue it will be in.

Peters Pendant, go to his website site, and look at his ModIO users manual (0.92 I think it is), it will go DEEEEEEPPPPP into detail on everything you EVER wanted to know about his product.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    eaglezsoar, I'm building a pendant and documenting the process in some detail, but I warn you I am slow and not done yet. What I have so far may be found here:

CNCCookbook: ModIO Pendant for IH CNC Mill

I will eventually lay out an overlay too.

Cheers,

BW
    Bob - it's been a couple years since that blog post - any further progress, especially on an overlay?

What sort of techniques and materials are available for overlays on devices like this?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaBear10 View Post
    Peters Pendant, go to his website site, and look at his ModIO users manual (0.92 I think it is), it will go DEEEEEEPPPPP into detail on everything you EVER wanted to know about his product.
    The ModIO manual looks pretty complete and fairly easy for a non-EE to understand. Does a similar manual exist on Peter's web site for the MP-03 (I couldn't find one)?

Also, how do folks create templates or legends for the buttons, LEDs, and switches on the pendant?

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaBear10 View Post
    The ModIO manual looks pretty complete and fairly easy for a non-EE to understand. Does a similar manual exist on Peter's web site for the MP-03 (I couldn't find one)?

Also, how do folks create templates or legends for the buttons, LEDs, and switches on the pendant?

Mike

Mike, and others,

There is several documents that come with the MP-03 plugin and kit, with the plugin is:
    A Read Me
    a Flash Help file (both separate and can be accessed from the help button in the plugin dialog)
    operators quick reference guide (for quick use)
    "Users Build" manual that I wrote as well.

Further Pete has all of these that I sent him that should be downloaded (or sent by him via email). This pendant build was also featured in the Aug (Summer) 2013 Digital Machinist Magazine!! It includes step by step build pics, and details, plus operation instructions, and how to do some things like hook its User assigned functions to Brains, or Macros(or macro pump).

Legend for the FACE: In the build manual that Peter has, (and DM article), A legend is shown, with an alternate choice of flush set screws for the LCD so that you can have MORE space for stuff to read (and larger print). I sent Peter some CAD files (standard .dxf, and maybe some other formats), of the legend layout, for both top and bottom. I think a THIN "Stick-on" label would work well, or a THIN piece of AL, with black lettering or..... some other material Black ABS plastic with white sublayer etc....

- - - Updated - - -

Mike, and others,

There is several documents that come with the MP-03 plugin and kit, with the plugin is:
    A Read Me
    a Flash Help file (both separate and can be accessed from the help button in the plugin dialog)
    operators quick reference guide (for quick use)
    "Users Build" manual that I wrote as well.

Further Pete has all of these that I sent him that should be downloaded (or sent by him via email). This pendant build was also featured in the Aug (Summer) 2013 Digital Machinist Magazine!! It includes step by step build pics, and details, plus operation instructions, and how to do some things like hook its User assigned functions to Brains, or Macros(or macro pump).

Legend for the FACE: In the build manual that Peter has, (and DM article), A legend is shown, with an alternate choice of flush set screws for the LCD so that you can have MORE space for stuff to read (and larger print). I sent Peter some CAD files (standard .dxf, and maybe some other formats), of the legend layout, for both top and bottom. I think a THIN "Stick-on" label would work well, or a THIN piece of AL, with black lettering or..... some other material Black ABS plastic with white sublayer etc....

Page 6 of 6 456