586,075 active members*
3,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SmartCAM Help

Is there anyone who can give me a step by step on what to do after i import my .dxf into SmartCAM v.11? The part is basically a rectangular piece with 5 holes in it. No one in our shop knows how to use the software and it is up to me to figure it out. I dont have any CAM experience, only CAD, with minimal machining experience. Anything would be useful and appreciated. Thanks

Hello,
    SC comes with some really good getting started documents and example files, and the web site has good info from SC and users.
    Don't know which module or version you are using....(I use Advanced Milling V14.5)....however...here is a quick and dirty example....

1. Go into Planner and set-up your tools (EM, Drills, etc) and machine code generator.
    2. Select the profile geomentry, copy it, and change the copy properites (you don't have to do that, that is the way I do it so I always have my original goemetric definition if I need it). You can select Tool, Offset, Z level, Clear, etc. You can then go set it up to start where you want and at lead-in lead-out.
    3. For the holes, turn on a layer (say 250 for 1/4 holes) and put a point at each hole C/L (the snap function with place them there). Then select that layer and goto Process, Hole making. The menu will let you pick tools, depths and clear.

Like I said, quick and dirty example. SC has a lot of power and you can pretty well do whatever you want once you learn the system menus.

Thanks HG, that was just what i was looking for. I dont really have the time for the for the entire set of tutorials, just needed somwhere to start, and use the tutorials as a reference. Were using Advanced Fab v.11 with a Fadal VMC. Thanks again.

Anyone know how to configure a material library? I have 4 that I downloaded, but they will not show up in the Open Material Library dialog box. The help topic said it may need to be associated with a .ini in order to be listed as an option.