586,047 active members*
3,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Adding options to VF-2SS

Hello all! I am new, so please excuse my ignorance on the subject. I am looking to buy a used VF-2SS machine (2006) and ship it to my parter in Europe, but it does not have some options we were looking for:
    - Intuitive programming system for Mills;
    - Early power failure detection module;
    - High-Speed Machining with Look-Ahead;
    - Internal High-Voltage non-Isolated Transformer, 400V, 50Hz, 40/30 hp (adaptable for European power) or can it be any other compartible external transformer?
    Please share your experiences. Thank you all...

Intuitive programming can be retrofitted, it is just software.

Power failure detection can be retrofitted; it is a little module that has to be wired in.

I think High Speed machining is more complicated because it needs extra components on the board; probably will require a whole new board.

You could probably use an external transformer.

BUT...you may run into serious problems with CE. I do not think machines sold in the US meet the full CE requirements. Do a lot of checking on this, you might find the machine cannot be imported into Europe.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Intuitive programming can be retrofitted, it is just software.

Power failure detection can be retrofitted; it is a little module that has to be wired in.

I think High Speed machining is more complicated because it needs extra components on the board; probably will require a whole new board.

You could probably use an external transformer.

BUT...you may run into serious problems with CE. I do not think machines sold in the US meet the full CE requirements. Do a lot of checking on this, you might find the machine cannot be imported into Europe.
    I thought High Speed Machining was just a software thing. Isn't it available for 200 hours of trial?

Pretty sure that if it isn't, you can get it retrofitted to any newer machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I thought High Speed Machining was just a software thing. Isn't it available for 200 hours of trial?

Pretty sure that if it isn't, you can get it retrofitted to any newer machine.
    I had High Speed Machining added to my GR510 and the spec sheet that came with the machine mentioned something something about an added math coprocessor. I have never checked regarding the 200 hour trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I had High Speed Machining added to my GR510 and the spec sheet that came with the machine mentioned something something about an added math coprocessor. I have never checked regarding the 200 hour trial.
    I could be making that up. I just thought I saw it listed somewhere under the features available for trial.

Thanks for sharing your info!

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I could be making that up. I just thought I saw it listed somewhere under the features available for trial.
    In Winter 05' CNCMagazine Haas mentioned the following options as available for 200 hours try out,

VMC and HMC try-out options:
    High-Speed Machining(Parameter 315, HIGH SPEED)
    Rotation and Scaling(Parameter 57, ENA ROT & SC)
    Spindle Orientation(Parameter 57, M19 SPND ORT)
    Rigid Tapping(Parameter 57, RIGID TAP)
    Macros(Parameter 57, ENABLE MACRO

Lathe try-out options:
    Spindle Orientation(Parameter 57, M19 SPND ORT)
    Rigid Tapping(Parameter 57, RIGID TAP)
    Macros(Parameter 57, ENABLE MACRO)

However, I'm curious about high speed machining. Since the CPU is upgrade every few years is the the speed of the current generation controller equals to the previous generation controller with HSM?

I foud on HAAS web-site:
    HSM - "High-Speed Machining with Look-Ahead ( Field installable on 1999 & newer models)".

The older processors, 68k you have to have a math co-processor, (10.00F series and higher). If you have a newer machine, basically 15.00 series software and higher you can just get a option code and be set.

I bought HSM after my 200 hour tryout ran out on my '07 Mini Mill. Haas sends you a code that you enter into the controller. No extra processor required.

If you're trying to manage the 200 hour tryout, be aware that the counter runs whenever the machine is powered on, not just when a program is running. My HFO thought the 200 hours was based on programtime, but it ran out because I left the machine on for several days in a row. Turn it off when you don't need it.

the only thing that you can t be add on after is tsc and sidmount tool changer as far as i have been told

Does anyone really see a benefit to the HSM option? I suppose it may be beneficial for parts programmed at the console, but for CAM programmed parts, we run a HSM plugin in GibbsCAM and it rounds the corners, and slows down for corners where appropriate in teh code. I ran one cycle with the HSM turned on and one without and didn;t notice any difference.
    John

If you do 3d surfacing you will see a Huge difference. It seems to be mostly that with HSM turned on it looks ahead in the program, without it on the control seams to read one line at a time and starts and stop motion with every little move.
    Mike
    [email protected]
    www.hessemachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh78 View Post
    If you do 3d surfacing you will see a Huge difference. It seems to be mostly that with HSM turned on it looks ahead in the program, without it on the control seams to read one line at a time and starts and stop motion with every little move.
    Mike
    I had HSM included on one machine, (but have never used it because the project has been cancelled and I am selling the machine) and spent some time finding out what it did. According to my memory all Haas machines look ahead, but kinda don't do much with the information, so when the machine reaches a sharp corner at a high feedrate it has to slow down suddenly, and may overrun; you avoid overrun by backing off on the feedrate but this makes the cycle time longer.

The HSM look ahead takes notice of sharp corners and slows down the feed as it approaches so the machine does not overrun the corner; this means you can use a faster feed and get a shorter cycle time.

If you ever see any Haas advertising litereature for HSM with pictures, and time saved, the biggest saving is on parts with lots of very abrupt direction changes in the tool path. For parts with a smooth contour HSM does not make much, if any, difference.

Sportbikerider,

I can understand why you didn't see any difference in running with and without HSM. Your CAD/CAM system already pre-programmed the "slow downs". If you took a program that was just straight feed rates without the "slow downs", then you would see a difference. Basically, it is supposed to automatically determine if it needs to slow when it gets to an abrupt direction change and if it does, how much. And it does it without the extra lines of code in the program, and on the fly. Basically, it saves programming time and space. But chances are, if you are doing something complex enough to be using a CAD/CAM system, neither of those pose too much of a problem.

Gizmo

On my 07 VF-2 I started out without the HSM option and the max I could push my machine without it jumping or bouncing was around 100 IPM. I am not doing 3-D machining but just profiling a complex shape in aluminum. But then I turned on the option and could push the machine up to around 175 IPM and the machine feels like you are still only going 50IPM. No jumps or bouncing when the machine needs to make a sharp change in directions. It also took about 30 seconds off a 10 min program with out making any feed rate changes. So in less you are going over 100+ IPM or doing 3-D machining I don’t see where this option would help you.